Upper Potomac winter fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac winter fishing?

Anything to be caught during this time? i was think launching out of Whites ferry?

I considered launching into the potomac myself, but the river is +5.5 feet at Point of Rocks. Water is really moving when its that high, so I'll be heading to the lake instead. Hopefully it will come down by the end of next week.

Comment

Which lake are you referring to?

Comment

When to Little Seneca Instead. Marked fish along the channel, nothing biting for 4 hours! Great Weather!

Comment

Little Seneca? It should be closed right now until March 1st

Comment

umm. I didnt see a sign. weird. I saw tons plenty of people fishing

Comment

I had this exact question in my mind as well. I fished Rocky Gorge this fall, and the guy I talked to was saying he catches a lot of pan-fish on crappie jigs in the winter time, right by the launch. Now that I think about it; it should be closed in the winter time. Right?
              “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

According to the Parks and Rec website, its closed to boating from Dec 15th til March 1st. I don't fish there often, as I'm usually on the river.

Comment

Originally posted by HearadonCatch View Post
                  According to the Parks and Rec website, its closed to boating from Dec 15th til March 1st. I don't fish there often, as I'm usually on the river.
                  Boating so kayaks are still allowed.

Comment

Here is the link: http://www.montgomeryparks.org/enter...l_boating.shtm

If you scroll down, read the section for private boats on the lake. I know kayaks and canoes qualify as a boat. Just trying to help you out so you don't get your kayak/boat taken by a DNR officer.

As far as fishing, it really doesn't say you can't fish during that time, but you would have to be fishing from the bank.

Comment

Shoreline fishing at Little Seneca Lake in Black Hills Regional Park is allowed year round but they are closed to all boating (including kayaks) from December 16th to March 1st. I asked them about that once when I was buying my season boat permit and I was told it was for safety concerns.
                      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Just curious have you guys tried the warm water discharge - Dickerson Power Plant?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                          Just curious have you guys tried the warm water discharge - Dickerson Power Plant?
                          I've been by that spot many times but I have never winter fished there. Here is an old article about fishing there:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021602013.html
                          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                            There hasn't been any warm water the few times I've been up there in the last few years. So unless someone has 100% solid info about warm water being discharged when I intended to go, I wouldn't waste my time heading up there.

Comment

I haven't had the chance to go up there, but plan on a fly trip pretty soon. The discharge is the run off for the Dickerson whitewater course which is owned by the power plant. At the link I'll post you can see when they're generating. There's no schedule posted but the upper left hand corner seems to have notes updated every few days.
                              "Update, January 16:

Dickerson is GENERATING today through the weekend. All blue card holders are welcome to go out and paddle, but please let the NRG-PWRC liason know you are going out 24 in advance."

http://potomacwhitewater.org/whitewater-courses/mirant/
                              -Jon
                              Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                              X