Largemouths in Saturdays snow storm 12/14/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Largemouths in Saturdays snow storm 12/14/13

Got out on the local reservoir again this past Saturday. This past weeks bitter cold snap seems to have pushed the fish from the 20 foot depths (where I was catching them the previous 2 weekends) down to the 30 foot depths.

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the techniques you can use in the winter to target these bass Jeff Little filmed this weekends fishing for his Pivotshare channel. He does a good job in explaining the where, the how and the why. Look under Categories, then Largemouth Bass, then see the "Winter Largemouth Bottom Bouncers" episode.

https://tightlinejunkiejournal.pivot...e&m_order=desc

He also has a bunch of episodes on Winter Smallmouth Fishing and some recent ones on jigging for Stripers in the Chesapeake Bay.
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice ones. You guys certainly are a tough. That weather was nasty.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
      Nice ones. You guys certainly are a tough. That weather was nasty.
      I am finding the biggest impediment to fishing in the winter is strong wind. I can layer up to combat the cold but it is hard to fish slowly 20, 30 feet down if the wind is pushing the kayak around. Fortunately Saturday it was pretty calm out there. I do have less lofty expectations for a winter fishing trip and generally stick to smaller bodies of water or wind protected sections of bigger bodies of water. I don't attempt to cover long distances and when the cold finally starts to get to me I head in for the day.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
        I don't attempt to cover long distances and when the cold finally starts to get to me I head in for the day.
        What a short day for you? That must be 7Am to 2pm then, becuase you fish dark to dark in the summer.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Nice winter fishing!
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
            What a short day for you? That must be 7Am to 2pm then, becuase you fish dark to dark in the summer.
            Well Saturday it was 9:00 A.M. (cause thats when they opened the gate to the park) to about 4:00 P.M. (cause you have to be out of there by sunset). It was snowing but it was a warm snow!
            Dave

Comment

Lookin good Dave! When I get out of this holiday frenzy I'm planning on spending some time in January and February on the upper Potomac on any local reserviors that will have me.

I might, however, have to hold out for some warm snow before I fully commit :-)
              Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Here's the video of the day. Enjoy.
                Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Working...
                X