Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Sat 11-30-13

CHSP Sat, 11-30-13

I was concerned the water temp might be too low for good tog activity, but I went anyway. I read that tog activity drops dramatically when water temp is in the low forties, and they head out to deeper warmer water. Forecasted coastal water temp was 43 deg.

When I arrived, the air temp was 32 deg, and with about 10 mph winds, it was colder. My hands stiffened just rigging up the yak. I was thinking about going back home. Anyway, I finally was on the water 0845 hrs.

I later met Tim and Khoa at the Inner Wall. I used shrimp and blue crab. We all got nothing, not even a nibble.

I went to the west end of the wall. Nothing, not even a nibble.

It was 1130 hrs, and the wind and waves weren't too bad, so I went to the Outer Wall. Tim and Khoa did not go. I got nothing, not even a nibble. I watched two boats, and no fish was pulled up. Talked to another boater. He and his partner also caught nothing. I said I think the water is too cold. He said the water was 42 deg and he agreed.

Went back to the Inner Wall. Again, nothing, not even a nibble.

Highlight of the day was my FF. After I launched on the water, the FF read zero depth, regardless of where I went. It did that for the next hour or so. I figured the thing was broken. After about two hours, it started to intermittently show zero and what appeared to be the actual depth. The displayed depth seemed accurate. Then I figured it out. The yak (with water-filled wet box) was loaded on the car last night. With overnight temp dropping to low 20s, the water froze. As I yak fished during the morning, the wet box water slowly thawed eventually allowing the FF to give me the right readings.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Well, you gave it a good last try! Sounds like its time to either hang up the yak for the year or focus on fish that will bite in colder water: catfish, pickerel, crappie or maybe WWD bass.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Well, you gave it a good last try! Sounds like its time to either hang up the yak for the year or focus on fish that will bite in colder water: catfish, pickerel, crappie or maybe WWD bass.
      Yeah, might be time to hang it up, but maybe I'll drop and hang eels at Kipto for the big cows. HRBT for nightline stripers is also possible. If the water is no lower than the 40s, then stripers are still game. Crappies at Occoquan also sounds good. Looking forward to some head boat fishing too.

Comment

You are a beast!

Comment

I'm going to try next weekend if temps hold up at the 50's like it is forecasted for now. I hooked into them 2 weekends ago, but it has been a lot colder the last week so we'll see. I think I was fishing upper 40 degree water temps at that time.
          The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Nice try Tufnik.

I got no tog at Kipto on Saturday and soaking eels resulted in 0 stripers.

Sunday, I was on a boat at the CBBT. I saw many boats togging past 2nd island and they were pulling up a lot of nice tog. From the boat we caught some nice stripers and reds, but nothing huge.

I put some salt in my wet well water. It should lower the freezing temp.
            Mike S.
            Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
            3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Yeah, HokieDJ, a beast with no prey...lol....

dson,
              Coastal water temp is about 45 deg now. I don't see forecast air temps rising much toward the end of week at Lewes. So, I don't see the water temp rising much by Sat. If it does reach 50, I'd be tempted to try again, even though I still have the bitter taste of a total skunk since this past Sat.

Chex,
              How deep was the water? I'm thinking the deeper water was a bit warmer for good tog bites. Or maybe it wasn't depth. CBBT water temp is currently 49, and Kipto water is at 48. I think it'll stay about there at least until this weekend. Also, how far beyond the 2nd island was the tog boat? If it's near the 2nd island, it's yak doable, assuming the water is cooperative.

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                Chex,
                How deep was the water? I'm thinking the deeper water was a bit warmer for good tog bites. Or maybe it wasn't depth. CBBT water temp is currently 49, and Kipto water is at 48. I think it'll stay about there at least until this weekend. Also, how far beyond the 2nd island was the tog boat? If it's near the 2nd island, it's yak doable, assuming the water is cooperative.
                Depth was about 45-50 feet. There were many many boats anchored up near pilings after 2nd & 4th island and in a line just above the tunnels after 3rd island, all togging. They were far... too far to yak unless the conditions are really calm and you've had your Wheaties. There was a boat with a roll cage all the way around to protect it from the pilings. Bad ass tog boat.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Working...
                X