Feb Yellow Perch 2/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb Yellow Perch 2/20

Not a kayak trip this time, but five of us went on Captain Mike's boat off of the North East River for attempt to catch some yellow perch.We stopped at the Pasadena Fishing Flee Market in Pasadena, MD. It was the best fishing flee market of the year.

The fish apparently left the Susquehanna, that is why we went for the North East River instead. We left the dock on the North East River at 12:30pm. The trip lasted until 5:10 pm. We drifted searching for yellow perch, using minnows for bait on a double hook rod. The average water depth in the River was 9 to 14 feet. Needless to say, the fishing was less than stellar. We caught about a dozen yellow perch and kept 7 legal fish. This is a far cry from the 150 plus that we caught a month ago .Despite the low catch rate, we know that this river had perch since there we tons of gill nets around. We spotted the commercial fisher bailing buckets and buckets of yellow perch from their nets. Well, monday was the last legal day for the nets. I am hoping that once the nets are gone, that the fishing may improve. The wind earlier in the day had given the water a muddy tint which may have added to the challenge of locating and catching fish. Captain mike made every effort to try to locate a school of fish which everyone appreciated. He even kept us out longer than the four hours that we paid for. At least everyone caught a fish and was not skunked. Captain Mike was real laid back and entertaining which made for a good trip. It was still fun to be out on the water and we will go out with Captain Mike again. I guess that is why this sport is sometimes called fishing not catching.
    Attached Files

Between the monster stripers and some nice perch, you're having a pretty good February. Sounds like the fish are starting to spread out up there. It might be harder to find them if they're not concentrated in all the deep holes.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

should have aske the netters to dump a couple buckets of yps in the boat. this week onext the yps should be up in the rivers getting ready to spawn, wye mills, tuckahoe, or wayson corner.

Comment

Two different groups of fisherman came into the store in the past few days, who were catching yellow perch. They were fishing Beachwood Park, at least I think that is the name. I forget the exact name of the park. It is a small place off of Magothy Bridge Road. I used to fish there many years ago with friends. I think Surfdog mentioned it once before. He may remember the exact name of the park. They said they were getting some nice sized fish, with white perch mixed in. Both groups mentioned the exact name of the park and I forget. Just shows how attentive I am sometimes. They said some kayakers were fishing there also. So maybe some of you have alredy found the area.

Just thought I would pass this along.

Comment

yes thats beachwood park, theres fish there but the kayakers must have came from privite ramps or some of the waterfront homes on the magothy. might check that out on saturday. i dont fish there much because of the trees, im a surf guy and need a lot of room those darn trees seem to snag my lures every time

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            yes thats beachwood park, theres fish there but the kayakers must have came from privite ramps or some of the waterfront homes on the magothy. might check that out on saturday. i dont fish there much because of the trees, im a surf guy and need a lot of room those darn trees seem to snag my lures every time
            Let me know if you or GB decide to check it out on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
              Let me know if you or GB decide to check it out on Saturday.
              I am gona try to fish there or WC on friday am. from shore. although wc would be much better from the YAK. i will post a report if the weather holds up.

Comment

got a couple feb. fish today with moc at wye landing. picked up 4 yps on grass shrimp and minnows this morning and GB and i went to beachwood this afternoon but had no luck their, one guy did hook up a nice pike using a green spinner blade. wye landing looks real nice to launch from. the yps we caught there were around 10" males and they were hanging around the dock

Comment

Working...
                X