New Kayak Rod Leash Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kayak Rod Leash Design

I decided to come up with a new method to easily add or remove a leash from a rod. I am tired of the Velcro straps and the pain of adding and removing them so i came up with this method.

1. I bought some cheap small carabiner clips from Ebay. They are Aluminum and should be more than strong enough.

2. I had some leftover Para-cord for the leash material. I made the leash around 4ft long. This should allow me enough room to leash the rod in several areas of the Kayak and still fish it effectively.

3. A Nice Ball Bearing swivel to help with twist.

4. A new method to secure the leash to the rod. I am using some new Fuji casting seats on my current El-Cheapo rods I'm building now. These reel seats have a cutout in the trigger that will work great for a mono loop to connect a leash too. So how to make a quick connect for a mono loop and leash system. I came up with the following.

- Used some heavy steel wire and twisted up a y connector. On the ends of the connector i added two spirals. One tightly wound and one loosely wound. The tightly wound spiral will be the permanent anchor point for the connector. The lose spiral will be the quick connect.

How the quick connect works.
    I tested this connector with 50lb mono leader material. I tied a knot onto one end, added a small bead and melted the tag end close to the knot. This will serve as the anchor point on the tight spiral arm of the Y connector. The other end was tied to a small Split ring. To close the connector just wrap the tag end of the mono with the Split ring around the loose spiral arm of the Y connector. The line will feed thru the center of the loose spiral when completely wrapped around. The Split ring will then hold it in place and prevent it from being pulled out.

I tested it and was more than happy with the result. It would take allot of force to break the connector. I could also easily upgrade the mono from 50lb to 80lb or 100lb if i am worried. This setup might be go setup for me.

That's an awesome setup. I was wondering how you were going to use the gap in the trigger.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Im missing the concept. Can you show an image of it mounted on a rod?

Comment

This is the reel seat i will be using these with.

Line goes thru the cutout in the trigger and back to the Y connector.

Comment

mmanolis,

Do you fish with the leash on the rod? Just thought one of the pull tight devices, like on foul weather gear would work. That way you could just pull it tight. The metal terminal tackle might scratch the blank, depending were it is attached. Some of the newer kayak rods, with split rear grips, are now putting a heavy duty hook type keeper in the rear to attach a rod leash. While my rods are in the rod tubes on my crate, I have bungee cord that slips up over the reels to hold them in, just in case I would roll over.

I have always found fishing with a rod leash hooked up awkward, at least for me, especially when trolling two rods. What I have done is to put two paddle hooks, the plastic U-shaped type up front on either side of my FF. When I have a rod in the kayak, I lay the rod in the paddle hook to keep the tip from sliding off the kayak. The butt end is either on my lap or laying in between my legs. That way there is little chance of the rod slipping over the side. All other times, like when in the Scooty holders, I keep the turn lock in place. With these precautions, I find there is little chance of a rod going over the side.

I don't use a rod pod on the Big Game. When launching in surf, I put the rods down in the paddle holders and use straps across them, hooked to eyelets.

PS: I now see the reel seat you are using. Why not use a large ball bearing snap swivel. Seems that would be stronger than mono.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
            mmanolis,

Do you fish with the leash on the rod? Just thought one of the pull tight devices, like on foul weather gear would work. That way you could just pull it tight. The metal terminal tackle might scratch the blank, depending were it is attached. Some of the newer kayak rods, with split rear grips, are now putting a heavy duty hook type keeper in the rear to attach a rod leash. While my rods are in the rod tubes on my crate, I have bungee cord that slips up over the reels to hold them in, just in case I would roll over.

I have always found fishing with a rod leash hooked up awkward, at least for me, especially when trolling two rods. What I have done is to put two paddle hooks, the plastic U-shaped type up front on either side of my FF. When I have a rod in the kayak, I lay the rod in the paddle hook to keep the tip from sliding off the kayak. The butt end is either on my lap or laying in between my legs. That way there is little chance of the rod slipping over the side. All other times, like when in the Scooty holders, I keep the turn lock in place. With these precautions, I find there is little chance of a rod going over the side.

I don't use a rod pod on the Big Game. When launching in surf, I put the rods down in the paddle holders and use straps across them, hooked to eyelets.

PS: I now see the reel seat you are using. Why not use a large ball bearing snap swivel. Seems that would be stronger than mono.
            Yep i always have the leashes attached while fishing. I'm funny like that.

I thought about using a Snap Swivel but the width of the trigger is deceiving. I could not find a snap large enough to fit there. I also wanted to avoid having a metal snap and swivel wedged between my fingers while fishing. The mono will be more comfy.

Comment

looks great with that style seat not so good for spinners. ive been using the velcro wrap type with masons line with 10# breaking strength so if i flip and get tangled i can break it and the line will hold the rods if i dont. the only thing i see that could be a problem with your set up is the alum. clips the pins and springs corrode very quickly in the salt, i went to small ss ones. i always have my rods leashed, im thinking of drilling a hole in the ram revo to accept the ss carabiner, i was clipping it to the paddle keeper but that sometimes gets in the way when landing fish

Comment

Scotty bottle -oks and snap clips are great, just add a length of your favorite line or cord between 2 clips. The rubber bottle-lok stays on the rod.
                http://scotty.com/boating-supplies-e...cellaneous.htm

Comment

thats a great idea, the bottle lock beats velcro, looks good for a paddle leash also

Comment

Yea, didn't think about being attached to the trigger. The mono may be more comfortable. I may be broken hearted if someday my custom work goes over the side. Although, I think my precautions will suffice. Looks nice though.

Comment

If you are custom building, why not just epoxy a loop out the aft grip of a little heavy mono or some stranded wire to hook a leash on ....... when not in use just pua a removable butt cap on it.

Or if it is a store bought, sand a grove in the but section for a velcro attachment ........ I really don't lke anything on my reel ...... gets in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                        If you are custom building, why not just epoxy a loop out the aft grip of a little heavy mono or some stranded wire to hook a leash on ....... when not in use just pua a removable butt cap on it.

Or if it is a store bought, sand a grove in the but section for a velcro attachment ........ I really don't lke anything on my reel ...... gets in the way.
                        I have some ideas in my head for future spinning rods i might build for the Kayak. I decided to try this method with the reel seats i chose for the current builds.

The loop in the butt cap is a good idea. I might steal that on my next build.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                          Scotty bottle -oks and snap clips are great, just add a length of your favorite line or cord between 2 clips. The rubber bottle-lok stays on the rod.
                          http://scotty.com/boating-supplies-e...cellaneous.htm
                          Those look good. I might buy a couple to add to my spinning rods.

Thanks

Comment

Capt. C where did you buy those bottle locs found them on scottys site but the dealers in the area dont have them

Comment

Got them direct from Scotty along with some other items not stocked by retailers. Once they let me purchase direct they let me place an order for anything in their book. If they won't let you go direct they can tell you who carries them.

Comment

Working...
                              X