Expanded foam for flotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanded foam for flotation

Has anyone tried the expanding urethane foam for flotation/rigidity in voids inside the inner hull? That is how they make the unsinkable hulls of the Boston Whaler 13 foot skiffs.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

How expensive is that stuff? Last summer I used pool noodles wedged inside my trident when I went playing around in the ocean. Never needed them but gave me some peace of mind.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Would it really be necessary in a SOT? It adds weight and the trapped air just floats. (unless you're leaving a hatch open)

Comment

Hull integrity would be the main reason to do this, but after the initial question and looking at the build of my hull it looks likely to be "overkill" especially when you consider the pour in two part foam's cost for 2 cubic foot is around $100.00.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I would also be careful about using that around polyurethane. Anyone should look into that before use.

I also use the pool noodles, circled around the scupper hole columns. I use electrical ties to attach them. Not only does this add floatation, it also helps to control things getting out of reach from my access hatch. If I were along way off from shore I would not want to count on the hatch not leaking. I get alot of water in under my hatch on rough days. I installed a deep cycle battery in the front hatch, to help keep the bow down. Well the bow is down, but on rough days waves go well over the bow. Water does get in under the hatches. I have seen articles about adding additional gaskets to the hatch. I now have two deep cycle batteries in the Big Game, to go all day with the electric motor. Love to troll.

Comment

I've been thinking about using the foam too ...... it should only need about 1 cubic ft which is only 2-4 lbs. The only thing I need more research on is the heat generated on expansion affecting the hull ........ the other is that I want someway to spray it into those tight places or a way to get it where I want it. 2lb foam has the most floation but has some water absortion while the 4lb does not. I called Hobie about it but they were absolutely no help. No one could answer any questions about it.

Cost seems to be between $20 - $40 in most places on net. Some of the sites have crazy high prices.

Comment

The only reason i see to add flotation to a SOT is in case you flip with hatches open and swamp. I would think a couple pool noodles would be more than enough to displace any water that would otherwise sink a kayak. That Spray foam is expensive, messy and would be permanent. Pool noodles are cheap and removable.

You would have to really try to sink a SOT kayak. Even with all hatches open there is allot of trapped air in the hull. The process of flipping the Kayak upside down will also release allot of water through any open hatches. If you are taking lots of water over the bow and its winding up in the hull then you have other issues, Bad hatch seals, Cracked hull etc..
              Last edited by mmanolis2001; 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I was told several years ago (when I had the same idea to use pour foam in my KF for extra boyancy) that it was a bad idea. Since foam is suposedly closed cell and trap air pocket to keep things afloat, it can also acts like a sponge and trap water! so I never did it..so i still have a gallon of that stuff in the basement
                I'm probably gonna try to make amma's out of it..sooner or later.
                08' Hobie Revolution - Ivory Dune

Comment

you can buy inflatable floatation for sinks and they will work for sots also, foam imho is not a good idea, expensive and the heat generated by the chem reaction can deform polyethylene

Comment

I would check with some kayak dealers, alot of the times the manufacture will ship the kayak with the extra foam blocks as supports, but they are the same thing they put in the front and back for flotation. I will check the shop for some we open in about 2 weeks. I had a couple in the garage but damn science projects used them.
                    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Ok .......... I'm still not convinced it's not a good idea .........

first ...... it's not expensive. $20+/cubic foot is probably less than noodles and if you can spray it, you could mold it into the tight places that would be out of the way.

Second, the 2 lb foam will asorb water over a period of time on the outer layers but the yaks aren't constantly submerged and this is wet only in the case of swamping. If water asorbtion is a concern then use the 4 lb stuff. It won't asorb water.

Third is the heat. I have to research this more but some of the videos I saw it was tested on other foam sheets with low melting points that didn't melt so I'm not sure it would compromise the yaks in anyway but I need to research it more. Also, several of the respected sites specifically list kayak flotation as uses for the floation.

Fourth, it may add a couple of pounds of weight but it would also add rigidity and reinforce/waterproof the areas that breakdown in yaks such as the scupper holes in the Hobies.

Fifth ....... it would always be there and not dependent on me putting noodles in before I left shore only to find me in trouble without them.

Sixth ......... I've read of blogs where the Hobies sank so don't think that they won't ......... My PA weights around 200lbs or more loaded without me ......... it will need more than a couple of pool noodles to keep it afloat in bad conditions ........

Comment

I thought the problem with the PA's taking on water was due to the rod tubes being open to the hull. Not counting an unforseen crack, the only way water gets in my Cobra is thru an open hatch.

Not saying the foam is a bad idea, I just don't see the necessity.

Comment

My noodles stay inside the boat. They are attached with electical ties. I have not lost my noodles.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                            I thought the problem with the PA's taking on water was due to the rod tubes being open to the hull. Not counting an unforseen crack, the only way water gets in my Cobra is thru an open hatch.

Not saying the foam is a bad idea, I just don't see the necessity.
                            just rather be over cautious then dead ............ 60 yr that smokes, drinks and is a ton over weight doesn't swim far and would prefer the Yacht Yak not sink .........

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                              just rather be over cautious then dead ............ 60 yr that smokes, drinks and is a ton over weight doesn't swim far and would prefer the Yacht Yak not sink .........
                              i'll bring the portable defibrillator on the next M&G i know a guy who fliped his adventure out in the bay with the center hatch open didnt sink but lost some stuff,ops dollar store poolnoodles are fine for me. any one think of tring Great Stuff spray foam?

Comment

Working...
                              X