Well Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Nuts

It's about time I began installing the accessories on my yak. I'm thinking about using well nuts. Does anybody use them? They seem like a secure way of making a water tight seal without the need of silicone sealant. From an installation standpoint, they seem to be very similar to installing drywall anchors & screws. Am I correct in thinking that?
    <insert witty comment here>

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
    It's about time I began installing the accessories on my yak. I'm thinking about using well nuts. Does anybody use them? They seem like a secure way of making a water tight seal without the need of silicone sealant. From an installation standpoint, they seem to be very similar to installing drywall anchors & screws. Am I correct in thinking that?
    They work well but make you drill a good sized hole. I think they are designed for areas you cant get to the inside of the hull easily. When I install the FF on my Trident Im using stainless bolts and nylock nuts with washers. much much smaller holes and with goop just as water tight. Take some pics of the install!

Comment

Yeah, the one's from ACK require a 3/8" to be drilled. I'll definitely take pics to document the install.

Comment

If you can reach the inside of the area use ss bolts, lock nuts, fender washers, and goop. Wellnuts take a larger hole and do not hold as well. When you drill for the bolts drill just a little smaller than the holes so you can screw them in for a tighter seal. Good luck with the install, crack a beer and relax, it can be a little stressful drilling holes in your new kayak!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

hmmm....I know for my flush mount brackets behind the seat, I won't be able to reach the inside. Maybe I'll pass on the well nuts though, as I already need to drill a 1-3/8" hole for the flush mount brackets.

Comment

I would stick with Rivets and goop for the flush mounts behind the seats. They are easy to install and will hold fine for flush mount holders. I have not had good experiences with well nuts. I used one to install a light pole mount on my tarpon and it never sealed correctly and eventually stripped out due to over tightening.

Comment

I agree with Mmanolis. Rivets will do the trick, and with goop added as adhesive/sealer it should be nearly bullet proof. Just make sure to rough the surface a little and observe the temperature recommendations for the goop.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                I agree with Mmanolis. Rivets will do the trick, and with goop added as adhesive/sealer it should be nearly bullet proof. Just make sure to rough the surface a little and observe the temperature recommendations for the goop.

Absent the ability to have access to place a nut and washer, rivets will do the trick. Stainless rivets may be better than the standard aluminum type. I could not agree more than with the other comments.

Comment

You can pick up well nuts at home depot or lowes. I bought quite a few since my outrigger bar is held in place with them. I actually do not like them that much since they want to pull out from time to time....also the big hole. I personally like just using a stainless screw with large threads and threading right into the kayak. It's also pretty water tight and doesn't come out. If you can get a nut on the other side, I would go with that first.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

i use well nuts for deck loops and cam cleats where i cant reach to get a ss 10-32 and washer/ lock nut combo, never had problems with them but i dont use them to mount stuff that will get pressure like surface mount rod holders

Comment

Working...
                    X