Upper Potomac River Saturday 11/16/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac River Saturday 11/16/13

It's funny how things work out on the water sometimes. I have not fished the Upper Potomac for smallmouth bass very frequently this season for a couple of reasons.

First, the smallies have been plentiful this season but they have been running small. Seems to be a bumper crop of bass around 10" to 11" long. Looking for a smallie that makes the cut for Kayak Wars (at least 15") has been a fairly frustrating experience.

Second, my favorite fishing rods and reels have been beefed up over the years to better handle largemouth bass in the 4 to 5 pound range. I've spent most of this season on the Tidal Potomac and a couple of Maryland reservoirs in search of a big green fish. These rods are neither sporting nor the best choice for Upper Potomac Smallmouth fishing.

So I strung up a smaller "2000-size" spinning reel on a 5'9" spinning rod. I decided just to go have some fun, catch some brown fish and not be concerned over the size. These 10" acrobatic smallies are a blast to catch on the right type of tackle.

I launched yesterday to water temps that ranged from 45 to 47 degrees. Whoa! That mid week cold snapped really dropped the water temp fast. For the first 6 hours of the trip I alternated between a Lucky Craft Pointer 78 and a Confidence Baits Little Tube. Both are good choices for a modest sized smallie. Unfortunately for 6 hours I neither got a bite nor saw a single sign of life in the water. When fishing is tough I find the best way to proceed is to slowly and thoroughly work each different type of "condition" (depth, cover type, amount of current, etc). If nothing else over the course of the day I was becoming more proficient with the small spinning outfit.

With 2 hours to go before sunset I moved to a new area that had water 6-8 feet deep and a significant current break up river. I switched to a "beaver" style bait (Net Bait Mini B Bug) on a 1/8th ounce Confidence Baits Draggin' Head. I'd like to take credit for making the switch based on conditions but the truth is I switched to this presentation because I was starting to freeze from the wind out of the SW coming up river. I needed something with more weight and bulk so my frozen hands could feel the bait contacting the bottom.

This is the lure and the Draggin' Head. Jeff Little gave me tip last year to remove the middle tail and just leave the two paddles on a beaver bait. Seems to be a good profile for smallmouths.

That seemed to be the ticket. First cast with this presentation produced this pretty fish. I had the jig sitting motionless on the bottom and the bass just picked it up.

Over the next hour and a half I caught 3 little guys like this one on the same presentation and same general area.

Last fish of the day. Felt a couple of taps, thinking another little smallie was after the lure and I set the hook into this one.

Figures! I go to a light outfit and catch my biggest smallie of the year!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice fish, I bet that lure looks a lot like a crawfish to a smallmouth when you remove the middle tail.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
      Nice fish, I bet that lure looks a lot like a crawfish to a smallmouth when you remove the middle tail.
      I think you are right. When I have fished with the middle tail attached I seem to get a lot of short bites, like the little smallmouths are attacking what they perceive to be the claws of a crayfish. With that middle tail out it probably looks like a crayfish with two non threatening claws, an easy meal.
      Dave

Comment

Nice. I did pretty well on upper P this year. For me the lower tidal sections were the disappointment.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I had a below average year all together fishing the upper and lower Potomac in 2013.
          My tidal trips were pretty lame. My son did have a good outing with a couple big largemouths and one snakehead. I had a rough go on the tidal waters with several trips where I was skunked.

Upper Potomac was ok. I caught fish, but nothing fabulous. Had the one terrible trip where my son got the hook in his calf and we got caught up in a lightning storm with a trip to the clinic to get the hook out afterwards.

Throw in a couple of lost paddles and 2013 could have been better.

Comment

Just wanted to add that is an awesome Potomac smallie Dave!
            Nice going!!!!!

Comment

I ran this style bait on conowingo this weekend for a 17 inch smallie.. Its called the rage rig.. anglers in NC use it for LM. except they use rage craws. but i was wondering if those beavers would would. It makes the bait slowly fall flat instead of nose down. its my new fav bait texas rigging. more natural presence
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Nice 20" smallmouth!

How late into the fall/winter can you typically catch them up there?
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Awesome! Nice Job Dave!
                  2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                    I ran this style bait on conowingo this weekend for a 17 inch smallie.. Its called the rage rig.. anglers in NC use it for LM. except they use rage craws. but i was wondering if those beavers would would. It makes the bait slowly fall flat instead of nose down. its my new fav bait texas rigging. more natural presence
                    Yes, the flat surface of the beaver bait with the Draggin' Head makes that presentation "glide" to the bottom

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                    How late into the fall/winter can you typically catch them up there?
                    They can be caught all through the winter. I have caught smallmouth in 37 - 38 degree water. It's not for numbers of fish and the presentations generally need to be slow as molasses (a lot of dead sticking involved). If I can go out and catch 3 that would be a good day of winter smallmouth fishing for me.

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                    Just wanted to add that is an awesome Potomac smallie Dave! Nice going!!!!!
                    Originally posted by Berto View Post
                    Awesome! Nice Job Dave!
                    Thank Tom & Alberto! I was heading out with the intention of just catching a few little smallmouth on the light rod for pure fun. There is probably a lesson to be learned in there.
                    Dave

Comment

Those are nice looking smallmouths.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That last one is a BEAST of a smallie. Fantastic work. Isn't 20" a citation in the potomac?

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                          That last one is a BEAST of a smallie. Fantastic work. Isn't 20" a citation in the potomac?
                          Yes, 20" is a citation in Maryland for a smallmouth bass. It is 21" for a largemouth bass.

This one was in great physical condition so hopefully she has a few more years to roam the Potomac. I'd like to meet up with her again when she is 21"!
                          Dave

Comment

Dave-A smallmouth that size must have put up an epic battle on light tackle. Awesome fish!
                            John D.
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                            GO RAVENS!!!
                            GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deleonjo View Post
                              Dave-A smallmouth that size must have put up an epic battle on light tackle. Awesome fish!
                              Oh yea! Good thing I had my drag set properly cause there was no slowing this one down. I think I was in a different zip code when I finally lipped her.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X