Rocky Gorge Pig Veterans Day 11/11/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Gorge Pig Veterans Day 11/11/13

Took a vacation day on Monday before the cold front hit...Plus it was Veterans Day. A big THANK YOU to all the veterans out there.

After not being able to measure a big Northern Pike last week at Triadelphia, I got to Rocky Gorge armed with my new Hawg Trough and proceeded to catch nothing for the first 2.5 hours...guessing it probably won't snow this winter, either, since I just got a 4x4 truck . Anyway, finally figured out a pattern and got to test out the Hawg Trough in a BIG FAT WAY: 21 1/8 in, 4.7 lbs. Clearly, this fish was fattening up for the winter!!! Total for the day: 11 Largemouth all within the span of 2.5 hours (12:30PM-3:00PM). Nothing from 10AM-12:30PM and nothing from 3:00PM-4:00PM. Overall, a really good November day.

IMG_0632.jpg IMG_0633.jpg IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0639.jpg IMG_0636.jpg

On a related note, still haven't figured out how to get a good overhead/measurement shot with my iPhone since I'm just holding the phone overhead and hoping that it is aimed and focused right. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I noticed that the fish really don't like being put on the Hawg Trough. Any secrets to calming them down?
    John D.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    GO RAVENS!!!
    GO ORIOLES!!!

That is a fish to be proud of for sure!
    ---------------------------------
    Mike Hossom
    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

nice fish on the clean and shiny new hawg trough!
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Job . The water level looks low. Where were the fish holding?
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Runnin-Estimating 8-9ft low. Most were caught throwing crankbaits at shallow laydowns and stumps. The big one hit shallow, but off of a steeper bank than the others. There was still some wood where the cast was made, though.
          John D.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          GO RAVENS!!!
          GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

Those are some extremely good-looking bass! Very fat too, unlike a few other pics I've seen of bass caught elsewhere by other fishermen. I think both of those 2 reservoirs had strong populations of gizzard shad. Gizzard shad can get pretty big but for their first 2 years they are quite eatable by lmbass and pike.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Very Nice Fish! Good Job!
              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

You are on fire! That is a Maryland Citation size largemouth, congrats!

I use Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 for my fish photos. If I have the camera at about eye level it shoots wide enough to get the hawg trough in the shot, like so:

The other thing I do for hawg trough shots is to use a "Fish Grip" on a teather. I clip it to the mouth and let the fish swim while I get the camera and board ready. Bass will generally give you enough time for a picture before they start getting antsy. I usually dip the hawg trough in the water before I plop the bass on it which seems to help.
                Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave-Thanks for the great advice/ideas. I will try the tethered fish grip and water down the trough before snapping pics next time. I've never gotten a citation before...that's super cool to know!
                  John D.
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                  GO RAVENS!!!
                  GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

What a great bass!

Comment

WOW ........ Congrats

Comment

Very nice fish! I think I just changed my plans from Virginia back to Rocky Gorge for this Saturday. Weather is saying a chance of rain later in the day. After seeing this, I'll stay closer to home.

Watch out for the "mango" Tarpon 120 sneaking up behind you!
                        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Working...
                        X