Skunked at Cunningham Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunked at Cunningham Falls

I set out early to hit the lake before the wind came up but figured the wind was supose to come from the west hich should have provided plenty of protectd shoreline. Wow, I circled the lake once trolling and then the wind came up from the south and then the east and seemed to come from every direction after that. By lunch I only say a bluegill working some rocks as they were warming up in the sun but I couldn't keep the boat anchored or out of the downed logs and bolders llong enough to cast.

Also for any flyfisherman out there I saw my first October Caddis on the lake but no fish rising to take them in the morning.

Does anybody in this forum know the secret to fishing this lake?
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

I've never fished it in the fall but have had good success in the summer for LM bass on fly rod poppers along the shoreline.

Also in the warmer months blue gills will hit rubber spider patterns or small poppers until you get tired of catching them. You have to increase the size of your flies to avoid them.

I've never caught anything noteworthy in that lake but quantities have been good.

It's small and it gets hammered pretty hard by campers at the park. That shouldn't be an issue now but I suspect the fish have retreated to deeper water by the dam.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I wouldnt troll for them, start with spinnerbaits on the rocks and go to slower techniques as you dont catch anything. Fall i usualy find fish on rocks and wood. If that lake has turned over you may have to do some searching for them. Try casting blade baits in open water off the main lake. And Wacky rigged worms can do wonders..
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
      X