Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non OEM hatch

All,
    I have seriously been pondering installing the Ocean Kayak hatch between my legs on my Big Game.(Big Arrow) I just want a place to hold some lures and knick knacks so I don't have to keep going in the middle compartment that I have mounted a rod holder on and can be a pain to open if I have a manly drink in the cupholder.(Circled)

However I have a couple of issues with installing it:

1 - There is no bag that comes with it to hold my stuff. I don't need access to the entire hull which the OEM hatch will lead to.

2 - It doesn't look like I will have easy access to the hatch with my manly thunder thighs...LOL.

So my question is this, has anyone installed a hatch that was not made specifically for your yak? And if not, do you guys think that it would cause a problem if I did?

Pic for reference:

Thanks,
    MYT

Hey MYT. my big game came with the center hatch and i do have to say it is nice to have, I think they sell for about $70, I know because I almost had to buy one. I am thinking about making an insert to hold the plastic tackle organizers cause like you said it is a pain in the ass to keep turning around.It seems like a pretty easy install for the center hatch. it did take my 6y/o to make me realize that I could turn the hatch around to open it while seated.
    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Sorry to say old friend but if you are talking about installing a hatch that fills that area you may have trouble getting into it with big thighs. I have one like that on the Malibu and cannot get into it while sitting in the boat..

Just a thought

GB

Comment

Oh I see what you mean Tucked In so you open it and then turn it so it comes up through your legs??? It doesn't look like a hard install, my worry is about getting to it!

GB- I was looking into a round one versus the square, that way the diameter would be so that I could get it through my legs... I guess I should have clarify.

MYT

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
          Hey MYT. my big game came with the center hatch and i do have to say it is nice to have, I think they sell for about $70, I know because I almost had to buy one.
          If you're even considering spending this much check out cobrakayaks.com under accessories. They sell a 6" round with a screw on lid and a bag and also a 10" round with a bucket and small taclke tray. This one has a twist lock lid. Both came on my F n D and both seem pretty good.

Comment

Ocean Kayak does sell the hatch for that area. I also think it is about $70. I have installed a regular circular access type boat hatch in the rear of my Big Game. I put it in the circular imprinted area at the very rear of the kayak. Its not that big a job. First, I needed access to the rear of the kayak to install the anchor trolley. Then I needed access to install the BassYak motor. I have since installed a trolling motor plug in the center of the rear hatch to attach a second battery to the circuit. You can order the large rectangular hatch right from the Ocean Kayak web site.

I use the large hatch, situated between my legs on the kayak, all the time. I am somewhat large myself. There is alot of room for storage inside the kayak. I keep a small cooler, my first aid kit, other safety items and some tackle below deck. That way most of my tackle is up on top of the kayak. The rectangle hatch, which is made for the Big Game, should be easy to install. The size of the opening is important, as to what you can get into the bottom of the kayak. I would go with the large rectangular hatch. I have found even that is sometimes not large enough. The cut outs are outlined on the deck. However, with that said, measure, measure, measure. Always check before you cut. If you are not handy with tools, take the kayak to a kayak shop. Really, it is not that bad of a job to do.

You might as well put the rear circular hatch in the Big Game at the same time, as you will also need a BassYak motor to keep up with the Metro Express.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

i would use an 8-10" round hatch, check out wilderness systems or hobie round hatches they have cam lock type locking not PITA buckle and strap.
              Last edited by surfdog; 02-16-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Not sure how far you are from the eastern shore but you are more then welcome to check it out on my big game before investing money.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Malibu Kayaks makes a rectangular hatch with a bag. Check it out: http://malibukayaks.com/gear.asp
                  Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                  Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks for the offer Tucked In... Eastern Shore is a hike for me... I'm in Mitchellville! My main concern is just being able to get into it while on the water... One thing that it does have going for itself is that it only opens from one side so I can pull it through my legs like Tucked In said. The Malibu ones have the 4 snap thingys and I know that would be more of a hassle...

Comment

very true, I have not had a problem opening it while on the water, the only problem I had at first was the seat sliding forward but readjusted straps and no problem since, with the big game there is enough room to move your legs out of the way where there is no problem. I see what you mean about a bag, that would be nice, looking into one.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                      LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

There is an aftermarket kit for putting a livewell there too. I can't remember what it is called I think something like kayatank or something. I thought about a stealth because of how awesome that would be to have a livewell between your legs. Something about drilling a hole the bottom of my boat seemed like a bad idea though. 5 gallon bucket will have to work for now.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                          There is an aftermarket kit for putting a livewell there too. I can't remember what it is called I think something like kayatank or something. I thought about a stealth because of how awesome that would be to have a livewell between your legs. Something about drilling a hole the bottom of my boat seemed like a bad idea though. 5 gallon bucket will have to work for now.
                          I was just watching videos of the Stealth pump install last night. That would be a great item to have.

Did you start the Live-well project yet? I have been going back over my plans and deciding if i want to buy the parts or stick with my ghetto minnow bucket.

Comment

Mine is on hold as of now, work has been killing and I haven't had any free time. I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when summer rolls around, but the 5 gallon bucket with two cheap pumps worked fine last year.

I guess my real goal was to be able to keep alewive shad alive on Smith Mountain Lake, but it seems even if I get one made I'd only be able to keep about a dozen or less or a couple of gizzards. Might as well just stick to jigs/flukes or cut bait and hope for the best. Spot are a lot easier to keep alive. I'm heading to SML the first weekend of March to try and get my March fish, we'll see how things go then. So far I'm 2 for 2 on getting my month's fish!
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Well I went ahead and got the OEM hatch... thanks to Tucked In! I dunno why I didn't think to put the latches further away from me... lol. I got a tray from walmart and I velcroed it down so it won't move around my hull. I tried it out at our last outing @ Allen's fresh and it worked GREAT! I got enough room for all my lures and some more!

The install was a little hairy to say the least.... I was nervous as $h!t taking that jigsaw and dremel to my yak... lol!! I kept saying to myself ain't no coming back from this one... I must say its not nearly as easy as the instructions lead you to believe...But I got it done with the aid of my Pops... I'll have to post pics next time I take it out.

MYT

Comment

Working...
                              X