Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi River Trip

Hey everyone,

I spent September hanging around the Midwest. A substantial portion of my time was a kayak trip on the Mississippi River in Iowa. I finally got around to sorting through my pics and thought I would post a few.

I kayaked 240 miles from Harpers Ferry, Iowa to Burlington, Iowa over the course of 18 days. Spent the nights camped out on sand bars and the day paddling and fishing. It's one of those rivers where you never know what is going to be on the end of your line. Without even trying I caught largemouth, smallmouth, and white bass, flathead catfish, northern pike, bluegill, sheepshead, and yellow perch. If I'd thought about it, it would have been fun to put in an effort to catch as many species as possible. Pretty much everything I caught was on a roadrunner jig.

Enjoy the pics. I'll post a few pics from my stopover in Kenosha, WI ... salmon and big brown trout ... when I get the chance.

Tracy

P1020533.jpgP1020534.jpgP1020563.jpgP1020595.jpgP1020601.jpg

We need more pics... That's a trip most only dream off I'm jealous.
    Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
    Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

What a fantastic experience!
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice Tracy. Cool fish.

Comment

Mike, here are more pictures than you could possibly want: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tracywaldon The river pictures are in the set called RoadTrip2013 On the River.

Tom, I was thinking of your multi-species reports from Triadelphia when it occurred to me how many different fish I was catching.

Comment

Wow, what a trip! I had never heard of freshwater sheepshead until reading your report. Sounds like the reviews are quite mixed on their viability as tablefare.
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That's a nice looking smallie and catfish. Both of those are bigger than any I've ever caught!

Comment

Tracy, I was looking at the photos again and what was up with the sticks you were collecting sticking up in the back of your kayak?

Comment

Wow looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing
                  Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                  X