Fishfinder Battery Choice - Humminbird Pirahnamax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder Battery Choice - Humminbird Pirahnamax

I'm considering buying a Humminbird Piranhamax 170.

Looking around the forums, I see folks powering finders with a variety of setups -- namely:
    12v 7ah sealed battery
    8 AA rechargeables (in a Radio Shack case)
    10 AA rechargeables (in a Radio Shack case)

I actually have a 12v 7ah laying around the house (but no charger)
    I also have a few 2500 NIMH AA rechargeables w/ a charger (not enough to make an 8 pack; I'd still have to buy some + a case)

Anyone have first hand experience with powering the Piranhamax and giving me some pointers as to which option I should pursue ? I want enough power but don't want to put too much power / potentially damage the unit.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'd be putting this in a WS Tarpon 100

Thanks

i use a12v 7ah sealed battery for my fishfinder, eagle cuda 250/gps. i have had no problem with it and have to real idea what it would take to drain it since i charge it evey few outing when i remember. i purchased a battery tender b/c it's pretty much a general trickle charger that will charge a variety of batteries, including my motorcycle or car battery if needed.
    sigpic

Comment

I use a 12V 7AH as well. I have and eagle cuda 300, and the battery has lasted very long on one charge. I haven't had to recharge after four 5 hour outings.

I got the charger at walmart for $20 and it takes only about 30 minutes or less to fully charge the battery.

Comment

Be careful with the Humminbird if you use in saltwater, I read a lot they don't seem to do well in salt. The battery is based on the draw so "overpower" is not the issue. For example if the unit draws 250ma then for every 1 amp hour you get four hours of use. So if you have a 7amp battery you can potentially get 28hrs of use.

Comment

i use 8 AA batteries....i will post pics of my set up once I find where I put my camera.
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Grilled Sardine

What model fishfinder are you using the 8 AA's with ?

Ex -

Comment

its an eagle cuda 240
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled Sardine View Post
                i use 8 AA batteries....i will post pics of my set up once I find where I put my camera.
                Hey do you have the product description? I have a HBird 170 also... Need to get a convenient and lightweight battery... Thanks again for everything

Comment

check out batteries plus. they have all sort of 12v Werker battery sizes/amps. some are pretty small and lightweight. i think this is the one i saw in the store (cant find the size specs). it was like 2"x1.5"x1.5"

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-32615...-agm-vrla.aspx
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                    check out batteries plus. they have all sort of 12v Werker battery sizes/amps. some are pretty small and lightweight. i think this is the one i saw in the store (cant find the size specs). it was like 2"x1.5"x1.5"

http://www.batteriesplus.com/p-32615...-agm-vrla.aspx
                    Hey StupidJet;
                    You know if that Battery Store is still on Rockville Pike?

Comment

yup. batteries plus is still there. right across from wintergreen and next to the liquor store. just went there last week to get my new livewell battery.
                      sigpic

Comment

I use eight AA's in a Radio Shack case for my cuda 300. I have a fifteen minute quick charger and also use 2500mah AA's on my etrex gps. I may install boat lights to fish at night and if I hard wire them I will go to a sealed 12v hobby battery. They are 60.00 at bass pro shops and this comes with a charger. I use some quiet bubbles in a five gallon bucket with 2 D batteries when I'm using my live well.

Comment

how long have your fish stayed alive in your livewell using your bubbler?
                          grilled sardines fish always seem to die with his bubbler and he changes the water every so often.

when my pump went out i was adding water to my livewell every ten minutes or so and they would still ultimately die. after fixing it, and having fresh water cycling, the bait stays live and super spunky for hours
                          sigpic

Comment

Well my fish use to stay for about 6 hours or so until it broke this morning. So today I just put my spot on a stringer until I live lined them.

I was out by Baltimore light house today and I would pitch my ultra light with a drop shot with night crawler to catch the spot. Once on I would start live lining until a blue would bite it in half. I would keep my ultra light in the water. and if I had extra I would put them on the stringer

Comment

^where your report?!

where do you launch out of to get to balt lighthouse? have you had luck there in the past? i never thought of sticking bait on the stinger...do they stay spunky and alive? tend to see bait get tired if i shove too much water int heir face by moving while they are on a stringer.

lol..how topics have changed.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X