Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape May, Togs on Fire! Sat/Sun 10-26-13

Cape May Togs on Fire! 10-26-13

If you like catching togs, this was the place to be. Many of the guys went for togs, and they were not disappointed. One guy caught a bunch. Another guy caught a ton including 17 and 17.5" keepers. Of course some guys caught only a few, but they were the ones mainly going after stripers and reds. Most togs were shorts, but many were feisty fighters that made catchin' a lot of fun.

It was windy Sat with 20-25 mph afternoon winds. I fished Sat/Sun, and the highlight for me was on Sunday, the much less windier day. There were only a few yakers on the water. With a tip from another departing yaker, a new friend and I worked the rocky edges, and boy did we get action. He caught over a dozen before having to leave. After he left, the afternoon slack tide rolled in, and that's when the action was on fire. I caught over 30 togs! Many were keepers. A couple fishing off the jetty also caught a bunch. They released a nice fat 17 incher I helped them free from a hole in a couple feet of water.

There was one tog I hooked up with. It felt big. It bee-lined in a hole got stuck there. I waited and played it for over 15 minutes. You know, slack...wait....pull....slack... Finally, my friend said I really could be fishing for other fish. So, I painstakingly made the decision. The tog won. I broke the line.

Can you imagine this? It's 4 pm, the sky is blue, light winds, the water is calm, the fish are biting, I still had bait and I was tired of catching and ready to go. Sheesh. Yep, I was already fully satiated and decided to call it.

Get this, during the two days I fished along the two bridges and rocky & grassy shores. I did not catch any toad or sea bass...ha, ha.

Oh yeah, the Cape May Kayak Fishing Jamboree, New Jersey, 10-26-13, Sat, benefit HOW.

It was my first time there. Over 100 registered anglers. There were several calcuttas, but nobody won the weakfish, blue and drum categories. Winnings were donated. The tog calcutta winner won nearly $200 with an 18.5" fish. The winning striper was 32" (or maybe 34"?). Three kayaks were won on the raffle. I won some nice raffle table prizes.

During the Sat night dinner, we had roast beef sandwich, shrimp/scallop pasta, potato salad and drinks. I met this angler before the meal. He caught a lot of togs and was so friendly he told me where to fish for hot tog bites. His friend caught the winning tog there. Anyway, I took his advice and was not disappointed the following Sunday.

I like the campground. We had the whole place to ourselves. Quiet, clean bath/shower rooms, lots of parking/camping space, and close to the fishing area.

All in all, it was fun. Great tog fishing days. I definitely plan on going next year.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-28-2013, 10:32 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

More pics.

I used frozen sand fleas and blue crab as well as live and frozen green crabs. Surprisingly, the 3-times frozen sand fleas and blue crab (from previous trips) worked well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 10-28-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Nice tog Tufnik!! Damn, the tog tired you out?? haha, awesome.
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice! Heading back next weekend?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Chex,
          That thing was tuggin' and just teasing me while in the hole. Ohhhhh, I wanted it bad...lol.... I did get another hook-up that went in a hole, but I got it after it swam out after about 5 minutes of patience. Score 1 for tog and 1 for me....ha..

Shady,
          Planning to go to CBBT or CHSP for tog this weekend. Tog limits: VA 3, DE 5, NJ 1 (goes to 6 starting Nov 16). If you like a lot of action now, NJ seems to be the place, but your take-home is only one. That's why I'm leaning toward CBBT or CHSP. MD limit goes to 4 starting 1 Nov, but this limit lasts only two weeks. Do you know where tog action is at OC?

Comment

Kipto for Togs, puppies and last chances of flounder

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
              Kipto for Togs, puppies and last chances of flounder
              Oh, so tempting. But, got to follow the wx too. If wx (especially wind) is good, then go to CBBT or Lewes. If wx is bad, then go to a protected place like Kipto.

Comment

CBBT just plain stinks this year.

Hell I would be interested in OC too since there's chances of flounder there and it's protected.

Comment

New moon tides, but I'm going to try and get out togging again this weekend. Nothing in stone yet but shooting for all day Saturday. Let me know if you decide on OC as the company is always welcome.
                  Brian

Comment

Oh, good work up in Jersey too!
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                      CBBT just plain stinks this year.

Hell I would be interested in OC too since there's chances of flounder there and it's protected.
                      For sure, CBBT stinks so far this year. I keep thinking Joe caught a 21" tog at CBBT two weeks ago, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X