Susquehanna River (2/12/11)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna River (2/12/11)

Moc and I headed out to the Susky today in hopes of limiting out on Yellow Perch. High hopes. 10 keepers seems like a little bit until you get out there and can't seem to get any keepers!

We hit the water just before 11am. I was with motor and battery today, so I was extra excited. I was so excited that I forgot to un-clip my rudder prior to launching...d'oh! Aside from that, the backward launch went well. I really had to move my boat no further than moc in his T-120 (if you let the internet tell you, one needs to be waist deep in water to launch the Torque lol).

First order of business...HOOK UP THE TOW ROPE! I brought the rope along just in case we decided to do a test tow. We ended up traveling in tandem every time we switched locations. The looks we got from boaters were priceless. On the way out, Foursteps called me to tell me that YakFish decided to come out...cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1X9EY_OJbk

We headed downstream of the Amtrak bridge were a bunch of boaters were congregated. Among them we hunted and pecked for a bite...no haps. After we remarked about how calm it was, mother nature began to fart. Winds picked up at the drop of a hat! It's amazing how rapid conditions changed. What was smooth water went to white caps in about 4 minutes! All of a sudden, we were the only ones left over there. Everyone else sought refuge behind the cover of the island...near Owens. We hooked up our tow ropes and off we went. We saw YakFish peddling out as we made our way over there.

With the winds being westerly, the waters east of the island near Owens was calm. Well, calmer than elsewhere. The wind made it difficult to maintain a constant position. At one point, we actually positioned the yaks next to the floating piers and fished alongside the pier fishermen. It was cool to fish alongside them as we all tried our luck. Few fish were caught here and there.

We combed this area all afternoon without many fish to show for it. Plently of small fish were caught. I had one keeper, and moc had 2 keepers (out of more than 10 fish caught). I had a few breakoffs, but luckily I had tackle to handle it this time around. I was able to make some leaders on the water with a reel of 10lb mono I carried with me. Yakfish gave me some pointers on how to rig my lures...which resulted in me catching a fish shortly thereafter. Always great to learn from past experiences, and each other.

It was a great day out there on the water. We fished for about 4hours. My battery lasted all the way till the paddle back to Jean Roberts. About 1/2 mile away, my baby began to breathe its last breaths. I was impressed at the run time. A good percentage of my operations today were with a second fully loaded kayak in tow. I was much more comfortable this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1h212prOdc
    <insert witty comment here>

and with this second trip under my belt, I know exactly what rod holder configuration will work for me. Off to AustinKayak.com I go!

Comment

LOL towing martin around ha ha. wait till you tow james you will get 1/2 the battery time

Comment

What about towing James and Martin? I think I see some electric kayak converts in the making.

Insted of the SS Metro, you will have to call the torque the Metro Express.
        Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

I'ma just run extra power connections with the tow line! LOL I can carry my own battery! LOL I see why you ain't catch many fish... out there trying to be Spike Lee! LOL

MYT

Comment

You pulling Martin was hilarious. Too bad the fish weren't more cooperative. By the way, was that a cream cheese-filled pretzel? If not, that could've been your problem--the fish weren't about to be suckered by someone eating a boring old plain pretzel.
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I love the tow video that was great.

I'm glad the motor worked out well. That will be a godsend come spring trolling season. Eating a snack while cruising to the next fishing spot makes me jealous.

How was the perch Samich?

Comment

Hahaha, nice videos metro. It was good seeing you guys again. It is way better with other guys out there.

The Metro Express was a nice ride for sure. It handled well and moved through the water at a nice clip. I think you had just as much fun weaving it in and out of the boaters as you did fishing

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Thats just down right lazy!
                  Lol
                  GB

Comment

I think you guys are on to something with "Metro Express" lol.

Comment

We ran into that guy on the PA last weekend. He sure could talk. He said he had the pa because he was like 6'3" 290!!
                      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Yeah, I heard him talking to Martin after I rolled by. He said he was interested in the Torque, but its carrying capacity didn't meet his needs. (diplomatic paraphrase)

Comment

It was fun out on the water on Saturday. We had a great time. There were actually 5 yakers near Owens. One of the yakers was a guy in an old classic Sit In Kayak. It was hard holding bottom, due to the fast drifts, but going to Owens was the right call. When the winds kicked up, everyone bailed to the Owens location. Everyone said that the fishing was slow today, and they were right. They also said that it was great a day or two before. This time around all the fish that I caught (10 total) were males except for one female. She still had roe. I am not sure how much longer they will be this thick in the river, since they are about to bail and make their usually run. I kept 3 fish in all. They were around 10.5 to 11.5 inches. The cold weather gear that I wore worked perfectly, except for my feet, which was frozen on the way back.

Getting a ride on the Torque was a blast. I was amazed on how long the battery lasted....and yes, we got funny looks from the boaters as we cruised by.

Comment

ok so we had this problem last time we were up at the susky. how do you keep the grubs from twisting and knotting up on the dropper loops?? we had a lot of problems with this and i spent probably a 1/4 of my time fixing or retying my rigs rather than fishing. im figuring smaller loops and less line from the jigs to the mainline?? thoughts? would a real small 3way swivel put off the fish??
                            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Your solutions sound sufficient and the last time I was there some guys from the boat actuall tied the grub directly to the loop without adding any line. It was close to the main line but they were still catching fish

Comment

Working...
                              X