Susky & Harrisburg, Oct. 15&16, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky & Harrisburg, Oct. 15&16, 2013

I fished the Susky near Harrisburg, Oct. 15&16, 2013, excellent conditions too. The river had finally dropped to fishing levels from the big rain we got a few days ago. The river was still a little high but definitely fishable. On the 15th I caught 10 smbass: 20.5” (personal best), a matching pair of 19”ers five minutes apart, and the rest in the fun size ranging from 12”-16”… and of course a few dinks <12”. On the 16th I caught 7: one 19”er and the rest in the low teens.

Both days the 4”paddletail rigged weightless caught the majority of the fish with the silver Rapala coming in a close second. I’m now using the silver Rapala shad rap, shallow runner, SSR-5 (from WalMart). I think I now prefer the shad rap shallow runner over the “Originate” floating Rapala mainly because it cast 10’-15’ farther. In some areas there was just enough eel grass floating downriver to give the Rapala a fit. That’s when I would switch over to the single-hooked paddletail. The paddletail twitching and buzzing across the surface sure did attract more attention and more hits than did the Shad Rap. However, the hookup rate for the single-hooked paddletail was well less than that for the Shad Rap. I guess there is nothing like a pair of treble hooks to improve the hook-up rate.

On both days, a couple of my dependable goto spots that consistently produce big bass the past few months yielded only small fish <12”. I’m guessing the higher water opened up more areas where the big boys can spread-out and hunt for food. And there are vast areas for them to spread out. That makes finding them very time consuming.

I may have a trip or two left in me before the Susky smbass season winds down for the year. However, cooling water temps in the side rivers and creeks of C-Bay are prompting the stripers to go on a feeding binge. Decisions, decisions, decisions. The Patapsco stripers are calling my name, but so are the Susky’s smallmouth.

20.5" personal best, Shad Rap. I just couldn't reposition the canoe to avoid having my shadow fall across the fish without causing undo stress to the fish.
    susky, 10-15-13 A.jpg

Matching pair of 19"ers caught minutes apart, both on weightless paddletail fished on the surface.
    susky, 10-15-13 B.jpgsusky, 10-15-13 C.jpg

Caught many of these fun-sized smallies
    susky, 10-15-13 D.jpg

19"er caught the next day, paddletail
    susky, 10-16-13 - A.jpg

Even had breakers with birds overhead... but upon closer scrutiny it turned out to be bread with birds overhead... locals were throwing out stale bread. The resulting mayhem sounded & behaved exactly like breakers with birds on the Chesapeake.
    susky birds with breakers.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

beautiful fish and "bird show"
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Job! Congrats on PB!!
      2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Congrats on the PB! That is just a beast of a brown bass.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice fish and nice scenery.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Congratulations on getting a personal best. I'm glad to hear that the water cleared up.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great to see your report. I've never caught a fish on a shad rap

Comment

wow great fish! i love catching smallmouth

Comment

Working...
                X