Edisto Island, SC Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edisto Island, SC Trip

I recently took a trip to South Carolina for my honeymoon. Fortunately, I married a girl that doesn't mind hanging out at the beach, fishing, and kayaking so that's what we planned our honeymoon location around. We rented a house on Edingsville Beach outside Edisto Beach on Edisto Island. One of those gated places that only has beach access for those living there. I figured I'd see what the other side looked like for once.... not bad! It was like staying on one of the VBI's and being able to bike 5 minutes to the beach and also had a nice dock behind the house we could launch from and follow the creek out to the ocean. The beach was also excellent for finding shark teeth and fossilized bones, mammal teeth, and turtle shell parts. We came home with a ton of fossils.

I didn't get to do as much kayak fishing as I was hoping, but the creeks around the house weren't too exciting anyway. Good for crabbing, clamming, and netting mullet with a flounder here and there mixed in. It's hard to lag behind fishing when she wants to cover water and sight see. We did go to some more open water to paddle one day and I tried some trolling, but again didn't get to try very hard as she wanted to paddle and explore. So I compromised and concentrated on some surf fishing while we lounged around on the beach. I wasn't at all disappointed with that decision as we got into some decent red action and bulls were game to play! I only brought one heaver down with me and we still managed 9 of them over a couple hours fishing over 3 days. One around 35" and the rest between 40" - 46". Not the biggest, but it was still good to say I got a bull in the surf this year! Especially since it looks like Assateague MD or VA won't be opening back up before the fall bull bite there dwindles. Plenty of pups too, but smaller ones. Averaged maybe 15" or so. A couple pup blackies and some specs as well. We were able to keep the sharks and rays away until our last fishing attempt when we were bit off 3 times including a drag burner that made a HUGE splash on top that I would of liked to have seen a glimpse of. Ended up finally landing a 4.5' sandbar shark and than a couple roughtail rays.

P1020984.jpgP1020813.jpgP1020854.jpgP1020856.jpgP1020858.jpgP1020878.jpgP1020889.jpg

P1020756.jpgP1020711.jpgP1020730.jpg
    Last edited by Slobber Bob; 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM.
    Brian

A couple more to round it out...
    Brian

Comment

Congrats on the NICE fish, and the new wife. That is great that you got to fish with your new bride on your honeymoon!
      Sun Fishin'

Comment

Awesome job, dude! I am pumped for you. Congrats on the wedding again, also. Those reds are a beyond fair trade off for the lack of yak fishing. I'm glad to see you guys had good weather. I was thinking about you when the storm was coming up the coast. Looks like it didn't affect you too badly!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Congrats on the marriage!

Comment

Now that is a KEEPER. Where do I find one of those?
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Very nice! Congrats on the great catches on all counts
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks all! She finally beached a big red all by herself on this trip! She's made many attempts but always handed the rod off because she didn't have the strength to finish. Certainly a good way to start a life together.

Somebody was watching over us with the weather for sure! Outdoor wedding ahead of the storm that was PERFECT conditions and we left ahead of the storm and spent the honeymoon in sunshine.
                Brian

Comment

Awesome!! Sounds like that's the place to be right now

Comment

Congrats! I wish you continued success with your new wife and big reds!
                    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
                    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

From the surf, very nice.

Comment

Congratulations on a fun start into your life together!

Comment

Working...
                        X