Tampa Bay smorgasbord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay smorgasbord

I left BWI on Thurs morning with rain, wind, and 52 deg. Two hours later I arrived in Tampa to blue skies, calm winds, and mid-80s temps. I booked three days of fishing with kayak fishing guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.c...s/default.aspx. This is the third time I booked with Neil. I learn new things each time and get to see lots of interesting fish, birds, and other wildlife. Here is a summary of the fishing. Thurs afternoon we fished for 4 hours. The bite was pretty slow, but I did hook two snook and one small spec.

Fri morning we met at the northern edge of the mouth of Tampa Bay and fished some really clear water for 8 hours. I caught 8 species that day and saw rolling dolphin and a swimming manatee up close. The water was so clear that we could see a great variety of fish near us as we drifted along.

On Sat we met at the southern edge of the mouth of Tampa Bay and fished another 6 hours. I caught two more snook along with a bunch of other fish. None of the fish were really large representatives of their species, but the variety of fish was outstanding. Here is a list of what I caught over three days:

~40 speckled trout 002.jpg

4 snook 026a.jpg

1 small redfish 004.jpg

1 spanish mackerel 005.jpg

4 flounder 028.jpg

1 jack 001.jpg

1 gag grouper 003.jpg

5 ladyfish
    4 needlefish006.jpg

3 lizardfish 007.jpg

All fish were caught using medium spinning tackle and a 1/8-oz jigheads tipped with 12 Fathoms Fat Sam Mullets or Slam-Rs. The water depths ranged from less than 1 ft to 4 ft.

Neil is an authorized guide for Native Watercraft, the same company for which I am now Pro Staff. He let me fish out of three of their models (Ultimate 14.5, Slayer, and Manta Ray 14). He also let me take a test ride on their pedal driven Mariner 12.5. In addition I was able to test out several styles of lightweight carbon paddles. It has been a great three days, and will be tough to get back to cooler weather in Maryland.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 10-13-2013, 06:17 AM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John,

Thank you for the report and photos.

What a great place to fish, especially when our weather here has been far less than agreeable this week.

It's also good to hear that Fat Sam works wherever he gets wet. He has treated me very well here and he'll always have a ride in my kayak.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Awesome trip John! What a good fishing experience. Love the
      pics.
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Great trip John!! I hope you were safe out there handling all that chop in the third picture.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

That is an impressive variety of fish caught and sounds like a blast. I was thinking of going to florida this winter for some fishing but never thought to kayak while there.
          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

There are a lot more kayak guides in FL than in MD. For me it is lots of fun and far less costly than chartering a regular boat (which I used to do). Neil's prices are affordable even if you fish with him just by yourself. If you have other anglers (up to 4), he can still take you out, and the cost per person goes down.

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
            That is an impressive variety of fish caught and sounds like a blast. I was thinking of going to florida this winter for some fishing but never thought to kayak while there.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I would definitely keep him in mind if I do go. For some reason when I think Florida I think fishing for giant tarpon or something but I could see this being a lot more reasonable and realistic. Since you said you've gone 3 times would you say this is the typical size and quantity of fish you catch?

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              There are a lot more kayak guides in FL than in MD. For me it is lots of fun and far less costly than chartering a regular boat (which I used to do). Neil's prices are affordable even if you fish with him just by yourself. If you have other anglers (up to 4), he can still take you out, and the cost per person goes down.
              2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

On my way down toTampa now will be there for a few days.Hopefully he will be able to get me in for a four hour fishing trip.Thanks for the info.Will give him a call on monday.
                2012 hobie outback
                2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Great job on the variety of fish. That area is great for fishing. Did you make over towards the bay bridge there? There are alot of islands,flats and an old bridge turned into a pier.

Outback 2015
                  Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                    Great job on the variety of fish. That area is great for fishing. Did you make over towards the bay bridge there? There are alot of islands,flats and an old bridge turned into a pier.
                    We fished on day 2 at Ft Desoto area and on day 3 at Miguel Bay (near south side Skyway fishing pier). There are extensive shallow flats with grassy areas and some sandy patches. It really helps to have someone with local knowledge since much of the area looks the same.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Nice report and pictures! I am hoping to fish in Tampa next year, I will have to look up Neil...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That looks like a fun trip! Thanks for sharing, John.
                        Sun Fishin'

Comment

Working...
                        X