Non-Potomac Smallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Potomac Smallies

Since my normal launch areas along the C & O Canal on the upper Potomac are closed due to the Govt. Shutdown, I had to fish someplace else.

It was my first time launching at this area and I will not name it due to the small size of the flow.
    The water was low and clear and most areas I was able to get to were too shallow to support smallies.

Had a bunch of sunfish nipping at the tails of my lures.

Eventually landed this smallie that was shy of a foot.

Switched to an old reliable Blue Fox in-line spinner and found some deeper water. This nice 15.25 inch smallie ate it. This is a respectable fish for the area.

Photo of the same fish.

Hit the upper Potomac yesterday....Taylors landing near Sharpsburg. Didnt even cross my mind that these areas would be closed. What a joke IMO! I have put in at this boat ramp 20-30 times a year for the past ten years and have never once seen DNR or a park ranger. The only thing to manage at this spot is to pump out the one porta-pot. I just parked along the road and muscled my boat past the closed gate and down to the ramp.

Good day for smallies...thanks to the warm weather. Water level was very low but it allowed me to anchor in the middle of the river, get out and walk the rapids. Most caught on weightless flukes.

Comment

Nice smallmouth Tom!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice Fish Tom!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

The only thing to manage at this spot is to pump out the one porta-pot. I just parked along the road and muscled my boat past the closed gate and down to the ramp. Good day for smallies...Thanks to the warm weather. Water level was very low but it allowed me to anchor in the middle of the river, get out and walk the rapids. Most caught on weightless flukes.
          Last edited by melissa728; 02-15-2014, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X