Complicating simplicity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicating simplicity

This isn't really a question that I'm looking to be answered. It's something I've been thinking about and will throw out there for comment/opinion/debate. Kayaking by nature is a very simple way to get out on the water. The simplicity is attractive to me. How does one find a balance between simplicity and extravagant rigging, fish finders, GPS, anchor trolleys, rod/trolling setups, survival kits, radios, etc? I'm having an internal debate trying to figure out what I need, want, and can do without. I've had this issue with other hobbies before. If I need to spend a bunch of time gathering a ton of gear and a bunch of time putting everything together every time I go out, it's going to add stress, and take some of the enjoyment out of the activity. Safety is a concern but for me it's not the most important factor. I am willing to accept some risk to increase enjoyment. For example, when I ride my motorcycles, I take reasonable precautions. I wear a helmet and a jacket with some armor. If I get so concerned with getting hurt that I have to wear a full leather suit with body armor, I'm not going to ride anymore. The inconvenience of spending a bunch of time dressing and being hot/uncomfortable outweighs the enjoyment factor. My buddy has 3 different jackets, special boots, kevlar pants, etc. It's always a hassle for him to get ready to ride. There is a feeling of freedom in going simple. Can anyone relate? Maybe I'm on my own with this
    Digital Livewell

Then you have found you balance, go simple. Let necessity be your guide. As you feel you need certain items, get them. Thats how I started. My first kayak was made of whale bone a seal skin.

Comment

Start simple. Especially bottom fishing or wp fishing all you need is one rod some bottom rigs and bait or jigheads and gulp. No need for the crate and all that. Eventually the list will grow of lures or rigs you wished you had taken and finding the balance of what you need vs what you think you need is tough. I keep one box on my rod pod but sometimes have 2 or 3 that I never open in my crate. Usually they stay in the crate during a trip but they are there if I need them. When I pack up I put the planos in the crate, my fishfinder, battery, and grips. I still have Scotty mounts, rods, paddle, and the seat for the next load... It can be a pain after a long trip but you start to get a system.

I try to use a checklist, just depends on what type of fishing I am planning on doing. I have a gear issue, so it help limit me so I don't bring too much.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I know what you're saying. I started out with a 10' sit inside kayak with one rod. That has changed drastically and gathering all the rods, the cooler, the anchor, stakeout pole, tackle box, net, dry bag with extra clothes, first aid kit, and all the other things I take with me starts to become a pain. But this is how I enjoy doing it and to manage all this stuff I keep organized. If I didn't, it'd be one trip after another forgetting stuff. A lot of this stuff, I just keep stored inside the kayak so I don't have to worry about it all the time. The other stuff I keep stored together so I just grab it and go.

The good thing about this sport is you can make it as simple or complex as you want.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

I vary the complexity by the type of trip I'm taking. If I'm doing a quick trip to Piney Point for some evening topwater striper action close to the launch, I need much less than if I'm going to St. Jerome's or PLO where I'll cover more distance and have more species to target. If you have plans or goals for each trip, you can tailor your equipment accordingly.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

After a while it all becomes one motion. The complexity then becomes simple. Getting started, and rigging the kayak is part of the fun. You customize your rig to suite your needs, not anyone else. This doesn't happen all at once. Most of these guys have been doing this for quite some time. Don't become overwhelmed. Besides, the real fishing season is months away. Take your time. Kayaks are simple. Even the depth finder issue. You can keep that simple. You won't need the most complex. If the FF will give you an idea of the bottom structure and give you a hint of fish and most importantly bait fish, it will work.

Comment

Yup, its always a struggle between keeping it simple and carrying enough rods and gear for 3 people. I really prefer keeping it simple so I can get on and off the water quicker and spend more of my time fishing. I get kind of impatient being so close to the water but stuck messing around rigging my yak or waiting on other people who are doing the same I try to keep it at 2 trips from the car, one for the yak and one for my gear. If I need to make more trips than that I have to much stuff. Besides, the more stuff I have the more stuff I have to lose when I eventually roll my yak. Good fishin

Comment

When your yak sinks from the stuff ........ then you have found the balance.

THe Zen of the Yak .......

Comment

Know exactly what you mean. When I ride my bike I usually only dress for for the weather. Which is one of the reasons I love riding my bike. I can just hop on and go....helmet and glasses of course. When prepping for the kayak I have a mental checklist (paddle, seat, battery, FF, Life Jacket, VHF, the essentials,)
                  I think getting everything else together is part of the fun. Baits, tackle, rods etc and I just put all that in my basket the night before so it is only one extra trip.

Comment

I've always figured simplicity was something I'd tackle on my own, and extravagant is something I'd pay someone else to do.

Comment

It's interesting to read everyone's take on this topic. Tackle is going to be my battle when it comes to gear on the kayak. I'm already a bit of a tackle junkie and I prefer to keep 5-6 rods on hand rigged with different lures when LM fishing. I will probably do the same when hitting the bay. Since deciding to buy a kayak for salt water my salt water tackle collection has already exploded. Working near Bass Pro and going there for lunch and after happy hour can be dangerous.
                      Digital Livewell

Comment

Originally posted by mdfisherkid View Post
                        Know exactly what you mean. When I ride my bike I usually only dress for for the weather. Which is one of the reasons I love riding my bike. I can just hop on and go....helmet and glasses of course. When prepping for the kayak I have a mental checklist (paddle, seat, battery, FF, Life Jacket, VHF, the essentials,)
                        I think getting everything else together is part of the fun. Baits, tackle, rods etc and I just put all that in my basket the night before so it is only one extra trip.

I know, but I can't troll from my bike.

Comment

Originally posted by mdfisherkid View Post
                          exactly.you can make it as complicated as you want or as simple as you want. just keep organized and things usually go smoothly

Comment

Originally as posted, was this a trick question? Now, I think most of us need Dr. Phil. We are just not that organized. Wow, how winter has a way of working on the mind. That is why they call these things hobbies or interests, so you can accumilate stuff. So what is wrong with stuff?

Comment

ha tell that to my wife, she loves to get rid of my stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X