Susky @ Harrisburg, 9-30-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susky @ Harrisburg, 9-30-13

I fished the Susky near Harrisburg, Monday, 9-30-13, 10:30am-3:00pm. Another decent day of smallmouth fishing. I caught 12 smbass 13”-19” plus a couple dinks <12”. I missed several more nice ones. Conditions were great although the river is getting very low. My canoe scrapped at many locations and a couple of times I had to back out of a particular channel and try another way because it just petered-out and got too shallow. Water was quite clear. Being able to see the hit and the entire fight really adds to the overall adventure. All bass caught on 4” soft plastics fished weightless on the surface or on F-9 silver Rapala.

19"+ hit a 4" soft plastic
    susky, 9-30-13 A.jpg

16.5" also hit a soft plastic
    susky, 9-30-13 B.jpg

Harrisburg off in the distance. The river is extremely shallow in the area.
    susky 9-30-13 C.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Some real nice smallies you've been catching this year. Have never fished the Susky. What's your pb ?
    John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by Jig Monster View Post
      Some real nice smallies you've been catching this year. Have never fished the Susky. What's your pb ?
      pb????

Yeah, the Susky has been treating me very well this late summer and fall, not only this year but last year too. I'm definitely catching 2X-3X more per trip this year than last. Not only do I think there are more fish in the river this year... but I have learned the ropes of the river, like when to go, where to go, and what lures to use at different locations. Fishing smbass in the Susky is so much fun that I just can't quit that river... I'm hooked!!!
      Howard

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        pb????
        Personal best ....sorry . I guess they don't use acronyms on this site like that other one

You're not the only one hooked. My first love is wading for them ( 25 years ). This is only my second year kayak fishing. I've waded most of rivers in Md , Va, and WV. The Susky is still on the list. Fishing the South Branch of the Potomac this weekend.
        John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Oh... pb=personal best... I should have known that. I think my brain is too soggy from too much smbass fishing I went again today... don't tell my wife). Last year I caught 3 smbass that measured exactly 20". This year I've caught several that measured no more than 19", but none any bigger.
          Howard

Comment

Working...
          X