Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading for CHSP on Sunday (Sep 29) for Possible Trigger and Tog

FYI,
    I am heading for CHSP on Sunday (Sep 29) for Possible Trigger and Tog.

Sep 29 is the first day of togging for the Fall season. I dove and I saw many togs when the water temp was below 69F. The top water temp looks 66F. I think Togs are ready. Hopefully Trigger stay a little longer.

I will be there, and mainly I will explorer the inner wall.

I think I may be able to keep two togs and 2-3 triggers

Thanks,
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Yeah, tog season opens on the 29th, and you can keep 5 at minimum 15". Sounds good. I'd surely join you, but I'll be at the tournament at VB. Good luck!
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Good luck, let us know how you do... Im planning to fish Kipto and CBBT in two weeks for tog...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

How was it Joe? I'm looking to get out there this weekend if the weather stays decent.

Comment

Opening Day of Fall Tog Season in DE (Sep 29 CHSP Report)

The water temp was 64-66F. It has been dropped by more than 10 degrees for a month.
          I expected few trigger fish and few keeper tog

I couldn't buy live sand flee this time. But I had shrimp and blue crab. Only a few boats were there at the inner wall.

I hooked only one trigger fish at 17" (on shrimp) but this one got away.

Caught 5 togs, three on shrimp and two on blue crab. I had three good pullage. But I couldn't bring the fish (tog) out of the holes.
          Caught several oyster toad fish, a cunner, few black sea bass, two croaker at 11" and 15" as well

The waves weren't high because SSE wind at 12-16mph was blowing from the land. Though it was difficult to find and stay with the holes where tog might hang out due to the strong wind

I think tog bites just started. Trigger fish may hang around 1 more week, possibly 2

I wore wader and enough cloths because it was windy. I was soak wet because of the spray.

Next time I will bring some striper lures. I may fish for stripers at the points where the light houses are. I saw many surf fishermen at the point between the inner and outer walls. Something tells me that they are after large striper in Fall

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for the report and great video! I'm thinking a rod with a little more backbone to it would help get those fish out of the holes, but there's probably a tradeoff with sensitivity in switching to something like that.

Comment

Nice report and video as always. The tog are starting to bite in Ocean City as well. If anyone is planning a trip either north to CHSP or south to VA beach in the near future, I'd love to tag along. Safety in numbers as the water starts to cool off.

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
                Thanks for the report and great video! I'm thinking a rod with a little more backbone to it would help get those fish out of the holes, but there's probably a tradeoff with sensitivity in switching to something like that.
                I think two hand operation will help a lot when setting hooks. And also lift rod high will help. Recently I developed a bad habit (when tog fishing) - not lifting rod high.
                Joe

Comment

Joe,

I recently bought a trevala s (casting) medium rod. I got it at such a good deal I couldn't resist. Do you think a trevala s medium rod will be justifiable for togs in delaware?
                  Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fish View Post
                    Joe,

I recently bought a trevala s (casting) medium rod. I got it at such a good deal I couldn't resist. Do you think a trevala s medium rod will be justifiable for togs in delaware?
                    Fish,
                    Let me clarify this. The rods on the video was Shimano Tescata (TSC63MH) (Line weight 30-50lb, MH, Fast Action) - I love this rod. Perfect for spot, flounder, Trigger, Tog. Though it is not true MH, it is more like M. That's why some tog anglers (including me) recommend Trevala S (MH).

Yes, Trevala S (MH) is true MH and is the perfect rod for tog for any places (depth).

I think you bought model TVSC63M.
                    I assume Trevala S (M) feels like Tescata (TSC63MH). That will be fine too for tog fishing. Trevala S (M) can be more versatile than Trevala S (MH).

Just lift the rod way high when you set the hook and immediately crank the reel

Somehow, only the line on the Trevala S got cut. When the line got cut, I used the backup (Tescata) to fish immediately the same spot where fish were.

The most of time, I used only one hand to set the hook because left hand was holding the rudder handle or right hand was holding the paddle to push against the rocks.

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-01-2013, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Nice report. One of these days I will get over there.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Glad you got on some fish, Joe. Nice report as always. I'll definitely have to try and make it to CHSP.

Comment

I bought a Trevala this summer after snapping an AirWave and I've liked it so far. Christened it with a ton of 14 inch tog and a few sheepies in August. Hoping to put it on some bigger tog in OC soon!

Looks like you made out pretty well despite some dirty looking water in the video!
                          Brian

Comment

I m new to Tog fishing but I really want to try it out next time your going out

Comment

Originally posted by MrT View Post
                              I m new to Tog fishing but I really want to try it out next time your going out
                              I think I can fish on Sunday (Oct 13). I will know for sure on Thursday. I will post my fishing plan on Thursday for Oct 13 fishing

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X