Assateague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assateague

Planning on heading to Assateague Island in a couple weeks to camp out and do some fishing. Searched on the forum and online and found some info, but the most common reports are from the summer. I've never camped or fished this area, does anyone have advice on either of these fronts? If you've got campsite advice feel free to PM to keep the clutter off of the fishing board. As I understand, there is the option to camp in the national park service section or maryland state park section and read the difference as stated on the MD DNR website, but does anyone have a preference or good/bad experiences in this regard?

I found Sue Foster's reports on http://www.atbeach.com/fishrpt.html, and plan to lean heavily on these as the day draws near. I'd like to do some kayak fishing on the ocean side if the weather permits and surf fish or hit the bay if it's sour. Down in NC I had good luck and lots of fun with crankbaits for blues in the surf, but beyond that I'm pretty new to the beach fishing scene. Planning on printing off some charts and tides before heading out, but has anyone had good luck on a particular tide, feature to look for, or lure type this time of year? Thanks for any tips, and I'll post back with successes or "learning experiences".

Pat

This time of year be careful with the surf, it can be quite rough. You will be there at the very tail end of Drum and Maybe the very Beginning of the striper run. If you're fishing from the surf, plan big heavers, heavy weight and big baits. If you can't find the striper and drum there should be plenty of small bluefish around to keep you occupied. Other than that count on Skates
    Jeff
    Life's Short, Fish Hard
    Malibu X-Factor
    Ocean Kayak Frenzy

Comment

With national parks likely closed through the weekend I'm staying home. Bummer that the backup plan for this weekend was camping/hiking in Shenandoah, also nps. Talk about having one's eggs in the same basket. Thanks for the info Jeff; I'll log it away for next year or next time.

Comment

State Park should still be open.

Comment

Working...
        X