Susquehanna River (2/4/10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna River (2/4/10)

Yesterday we made our first trip of the year.

Not only was it the first trip of the year, but it was the maiden voyage for myself and foursteps24 on our new kayaks. I didn't realize how comfortable I had become with my Synergy. I was suprisingly uncomfortable for a good half hour on the Torque. The different layout combined with me wearing all of my gear made for an uncomfortable paddle at first. I got some things readjusted and was ok after a while though.

We launched from Jean Roberts Park just after 11am, and set out to fish the waters on the other side of the river near Owens Marina. The water was moving pretty slow upon our arrival at our fishing location. Between the three of us, we jigged an assortment of soft plastics. The pickings were slow. We saw numerous boaters in our vicinity catching though. Shortly later, mytmouse picked off a couple of small yellow perch. Still, things were wayy too slow based on what we've seen and heard. Some boaters we chatted with said it was slow for them as well, and had been much better in the morning.

After a while, it started to become clearly obvious to me that we were doing something wrong. I switched baits from a 2" chartreuse powerbait curly tail grub to a green Mr. Twister with a yellow tail. This worked to get me two yellows. I was happy to get the skunk off the new boat, but I still really wasn't satisfied. I KNOW the fish were there, but I know I still wasn't doing something right.

Around 11:45, YakFish (Allen) peddled over and joined us. It's always great to meet a fellow yakker and forum member. He worked the area with us and picked off a few here and there...including a catfish.

Foursteps worked closer to the docks and picked up a nice sized yellow, in the 13" range. He also hooked into a small mouth bass.

Mytmouse ended the day with a couple of small yellows, but also caught a nice sized large mouth bass.

Around 3pm, mytmouse, foursteps and I called it a day. I was frustrated after getting snagged multiple times on the bottom, resulting in lost gear each time. I simply did not plan on that happening. I had one snag/breakoff in 70' of water that lost me a lot of line (spool wasn't full to begin with, so this was a big deal for me.) We said our farewell to YakFish and paddled back to the ramp. YakFish figured this whole "fishing" thing out after we left. He had a successful outing...I'll let him elaborate on what he found to work for him.

As we loaded up at the launch, another yakker peddled in in his Hobie. He had a successful trip as well. His well was full of nice sized yellows. He was out further down river. We saw a congregation of boats as we made our return trips and figured that was another hot spot.

I am quite certain that MY problem was my tackle. My plan all along was to use some homemade dropper loop rigs that I tied last season with flouro. Well of course when I went looking for it before this trip, the rigs were nowhere to be found! So I went with the basic old metal arm bottom rigs which I planned on getting away from this season I think this hindered things down below. I also used a heavier sinker that I probably needed. I was using a 2oz. In the deep water, the under current seemed to be moving well, so I was using the heavy weight in efforts to have my rig go straight down below my yak. In the more shallow areas, I didn't need that much I suppose.

All in all it was a great trip because:

-We weren't at work
    -We were kayaking & fishing
    -The ramp wasn't iced over
    -Mytmouse was able to get a break from the babies and smell the great outdoors, instead of a dirty diaper
    -We met another Member here
    -We stayed safe
    -Foursteps and I got accustomed to our new yaks
    -We caught SOMETHING

I plan on getting back out there really soon. I hated the feeling of "giving up" when I KNEW the fish were there, but I got so frustrated. Better luck will be had next time.

<insert witty comment here>

Hey sometimes it take a few times out in a new spot to become familiar with the area. Glad the new yaks worked out. Sounds like you did ok. Remember, when all else fails, for yellow perch, use grass shrimp.

Good luck.

Comment

Awesome report, even if the action wasn't that hot. Sweet fleet of boats, too. I was in the office wishin' I was fishin'. Getting used to a new yak is weird, isn't it?

Next time you head up there, take a couple jigging blades with you--like a Cicada or Silver Buddy. They're too light for deep water, but they're worth trying in 20ft or less. Maybe the perch are getting savvy to the plastics...
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I saw a TV show, where a couple of guys were fishing the silver buddy in that area and were slaying bass. They were more jigging the lure rather than swimming it.

Just one thing that I noticed. Just a persoanl preference. Things may be more comfortable with neoprene reef walking type shoes or neoprene sailing type shoes. They are alittle more flexible than a heavier shoe. You will have more feel in the kayak.

Comment

It was a blast out there! Even though the fish didn't cooperate as willingly as we would have hoped, it turned out to be a wonderful outing with no smell of skunkage... we all got our Feb. fish!

It was soooo great to get out... every time I hook up with these guys I know the day will be full of good times and laughter! I paid for the trip dearly when I got home... kids don't understand that Daddy is tired...lol

MYT

Comment

Thanks for the report guys. Im gonna head up there tomorrow and check thing out if it isnt too windy. Were you using small jigheads or just grubs?
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

MD,
              We used top/bottom rigs with grubs... but I would say tie your own... they don't like the wires much! I caught that LMB on a small jighead and grub... but I was REALLY close to shore... the water there is deep in most areas... 40+ feet. So a small jighead and grub ain't gonna cut it when their holding deep.

MYT

Comment

Yea i was planning on just using dropper loops and like 1/16oz jigheads with grubs and like an ounce sinker.
                Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Sounds like a recipe for yellow perch!

Comment

metroman, next time try reversing your direction and go back the way you came over the rig and most times it will come loose. i like to use lighter leaders on the yak so they break not my main line. braid cost too much and its hard to break on the yak.

Comment

Nice report Metro. It was better having a few guys together because it sorta gives you more confidence when others are catching or are seeing the same things.

Like Metro said, I met them and for the first time I've seen, kayaks outnumbered the boats. The action was slow at first. Well, my first cast I caught a keeper but not too much for awhile. There were enough of us out there catching sporadic fish that we knew they were out there, not to mention the fish finder was going nuts.

After they left I started trying some things and the end result was basically a drop shot rig. 1 oz weight with a hook tied 6" above and then another 18" higher using a palomar knot. On each hook I used a 2" pearl white powerbait grub. I let out line until it hit the bottom and then I reeled in just a couple of inches so it sat just off the bottom. I then held the rod parallel to the water and just let it bob with the kayak (maybe just a little more at times, but not a whole lot of jigging). I'd wait until I saw the tip give a little bit and I'd set the hook. I was getting 2 at a shot most times. It was getting silly how many fish I was catching. A few other boaters came through and they kept laughing because they weren't catching any and every few seconds (literally) my rod was bent.

The big error that we were making is not realizing how light the hits are. With a heavy rig it is especially hard to detect. The other error is too much rod action. I think it looks unnatural. I tried to make the grub look as much like a real minnow as possible.

The snags were getting bad especially since we were trying to keep right on the bottom and there were a lot of logs down there. Reversing direction did help a lot of times but not always.

I was so happy to get out on the water for the first time this year...and not be working. The perch were delicious. I found many of them packed with roe and I figured I could eat it as well. It turns out it was pretty delicious cooked in some olive oil and lightly breaded.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

It was great meeting you Yak Fish! When it gets warmer we gotta hit that "spot" you were tellin me about! LOL

MYT

Comment

So its like that!
                          I didn't want to be in your lil stinky club noway!
                          I'm taking my ball and going home!
                          Lol
                          GB

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                            It was great meeting you Yak Fish! When it gets warmer we gotta hit that "spot" you were tellin me about! LOL

MYT
                            Let's do it, but bring your kayak cart because you'll have to drag it a few hundred yards to get down the trail.

I didn't know you caught a bass. I figured the water was way too cold for them. Bass fishing up there is really good too. In fact, I think that whole area all the way up to the dam provides some of the best fishing in MD, especially because of the perch, shad and trophy striper runs.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

I had a ball out there with Metro and MYT. When we get together it is also a blast. Then when Yak Fish showed up it was even better. He kinda showed us out when he arrived because his first drop resulted in a fish. HE also had something that was pretty huge on his line that with out a doubt it had to be an early rockfish.....................NOPE Catfish. that was a surprise. The fish did not cooperate as much as we wanted to but I felt really good my first time out on my kayak (Prowler trident 13). Like Metro said the first 30 minutes or so was kinda strange. I felt really uncomfortable with all of the gear on but as we paddled across the river I got more comfortable. After a while I felt like I was gliding in a 747. I took a few pictures but didnt seem to remember to take one of the first fish I caught which was about a 12 incher but i had this nasty looking fungus on it. It looked sorta like "blisters which looked like the consistency of mucus". it was discusting. I did managed a small smallmouth near the docks as well. Enjoy the pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X