OC Reds and a surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Reds and a surprise

This year has been great for mid slot sized puppy drum in OC/Assateague. After taking a brief break to catch some specks for the CCA tourney two weeks ago, it was time to hit the flats again in search of reds. Because I went after work and did not have much time to fish the flood tide, I took the skiff. A friend and I managed two reds in a short time. Saw a few more, but they were scattered this evening.

These both went around 23 inches. One caught on white Gulp!, the other on a small piece of peerler casted on a popping cork behind the boat.

Then I caught this little fella; a gag grouper. A first for me. Its a shame I wasn't in the yak. I am pretty sure this would top the leaderboard.

Anyway, if you are in OC, GET ON THE FLATS! The reds are thick in places....just up to you to find em.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

that is awesome. Nice Gag!
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

From the looks of Southerly's post from Chincoteague, it looks like the flounder bite is picking up along with the reds in all the seaside bays. Caught these last night in OC, half way through the flood tide in about 3-4 ft of water. White Gulp! retreived VERY slow along the bottom for the flounder and the same rig, just retreived a little faster for the reds.

If anyone wants to get their first (or any) red this is the time to do it. Find a flat and follow the flood tide over it. Two hours on each side of the flood seems to be the ticket. They are not thick, but once you find them, pulling a couple out isn't too difficult.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Maybe I'll be too late for some Reds but I will be in OC for a long weekend this Friday Oct 5. Where's the best place to launch my kayak from to get to these flats?
        Thanks in advance

Comment

i just found your post - very nice!!!

i was fishing out of frontier town earlier this summer and saw tailing fish over some weed beds but couldn't make them bite - drove me crazy. at that time, i had very good opp to throw gulp on jighead, spinner, and spoon. it was really fishy and i had more than an hour to do whatever i wanted. but all i got was one hit that i missed. i meant to get back out there in late summer to try again. but time flies,...

the grouper is very cool

Comment

Working...
          X