Muskie Fishing the Potomac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muskie Fishing the Potomac?

I've been posting around on numerous forums I follow and noone has really been able to REALLY give me some helpful info. I've gotten a lot of "I hear if you do this" or "I hear if you use these blah blah blah". While I appreciate the effort, I'm just not getting the information I need....

I've recently adopted an obsession with muskie fishing. I have seen (or I think i have) one my entire life. I fish the area around Harpers Ferry WV (where the shenandoah meets the potomac). I've pretty much sacked every other species of fish that swims these parts. And this "fish of a thousand casts" is really doing a great job at not only living up to its nickname but ABSOLUTELY exceeding it. I need to catch this fish!

So does anyone on this forum target them around my area? Know of someone who does? Where at? What lures/baits? What time of year/day? It's kind of hard because I've heard of people catching them in the blistering heat of summer, and I've also seen a video of a guy who caught one on new years eve. I'd like to kind of get that spectrum narrowed down. I've figured since its starting to cool down the bite will pick up? I fished all throughout august throwing super shad raps, zoom flukes, and some BIG inline spinnerbaits. Didn't even get a follow on any of those. Most people tell me they generally turn off during the extreme heat.

Good solid information is greatly appreciated.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Like yourself, I have fished this same area of the Potomac for many many years. I have yet to see, let alone catch a muskie. Wish I had more to offer but have you seen this article by DNR during your research?

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...igermuskie.asp

Matt

Comment

Yes I've seen that one. I know they're there because I've seen the pictures of people pulling them out at the same spots I'm fishing at. The only thing I haven't tried is trolling from my kayak. I think my next go to will be trolling large bomber style lures.
      Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I don't get up there, but I understand the areas above dam 5 with big Rapalas, white spinnerbaits, and MEPPS are good.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Was thinking the same thing, Runnin. Tough decision though IMHO, hunt muskie all day and most likely get come up empty or slay smallies all day long. The reward would be nice tho...

Best of luck Sega. Let us know if you hook into one.

Comment

For me anyways the more I've gotten skunked muskie fishing, the more I've been excited to get out there the next time. I'll start posting my reports, empty handed or not.
            Zack
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

In the spring, put a big hook into a sucker fish (their favorite food) and free-line it up near a creek inlet to the Potomac. A dead sucker will work too! Hang on tight!

Comment

jbrown have you tried this? I've heard about this too. The only thing is I have no idea how to get a hold of suckers.
                Zack
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I've also wondered if using large goldfish or koi would work. A sucker is essentially a sub species of carp/koi.
                  Zack
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

There is a guy on Tidalfish.com with the board name of Salmo trutta who is also a fanatic about muskies. He has posted several reports about catching them in the Potomac. Looking back over his old posts and then contacting him would be a good place to start.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I thought you had to wait to be verified by an admin to become a member on tidalfish?
                      Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I've recently tried Musky fishing from a kayak a few times in the Shenandoah River in VA and got skunked. I would highly advise against using the larger 1oz+ lures unless you plan on trolling. From a kayak, it becomes exhausting and physically demanding fighting current, stabilizing the kayak, and then casting repeatedly even if you are quite physically fit.

I would stick to large inline spinners, spinnerbaits, and the largest sized jointed rapalas and husky jerks. These lures are large enough to be noticed but still manageable to be cast all day long while paddling on a river.
                        Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                        Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                        Northern Pike: 24 inches
                        Crappie: 12 inches
                        Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

speaking from experience, musky guys keep their cards close to the vest. simply too much effort getting on the fish to puke it up for any Tom, Dick or Harry on the internet.

for example, I drove from the Beltway to Washington County over a dozen time before getting on some fish. it is a long drive on the road, then up the river, fish HOURS, then back down the river, then back home. (repeat x 12) only to regurg secrets on internet on cue?

sorry to be a Richard but just fricking go fishing. looking for some 'secret' is lazy, get yourself in the boat, on the water, and start crossing off what doesn't work. (Please post it when your done, though)

Comment

Originally posted by justacanoe View Post
                            speaking from experience, musky guys keep their cards close to the vest. simply too much effort getting on the fish to puke it up for any Tom, Dick or Harry on the internet.

for example, I drove from the Beltway to Washington County over a dozen time before getting on some fish. it is a long drive on the road, then up the river, fish HOURS, then back down the river, then back home. (repeat x 12) only to regurg secrets on internet on cue?

sorry to be a Richard but just fricking go fishing. looking for some 'secret' is lazy, get yourself in the boat, on the water, and start crossing off what doesn't work. (Please post it when your done, though)
                            ^This. There's just too many variables when it comes to fishing, and you may never be able to reproduce the conditions that brought someone else a Musky at Lat xyz Long 123 on some date 2 years ago. Just go out and fish and see what works for you. I've even noticed certain lures work better for different people because of their retrieve style and patience.
                            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                            Northern Pike: 24 inches
                            Crappie: 12 inches
                            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

(just to be fair, I constantly scour fishing sites for secrets that will get me on fish quicker, too )

Comment

Working...
                              X