Striped bass inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striped bass inquiry

Would using a small bait fish whole or cut up into chunks be more effective for striped bass in deep water along pier columns? Also should I use a weight and send the bait to the bottom or hit the bottom and reel up a bit? Any help is appreciated thanks

You may want to post this question over in the "Main Forum" (instead of in "Fresh Water Fishing"). I think you will find more anglers who regularly chase Stripers in that forum.

Good luck!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I've caught a bunch of stripers, but never on cut bait. That is not to say it's not possible, but I don't think it is a common technique.

Best ways I know of are:

- Live-lining spot, eels or menhaden
      - Jigging large soft plastics or metal jigs
      - Bloodworms
      Mike S.
      Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
      3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Except for the stretch where they were almost impossible to find and/or protected I've fished for striper my whole life. I have however only gone a couple of times from my kayak or in the Chesapeake. I will say that cut bait can work, but it is way down the heirarchy of preffered baits. I have seen it work (specifically bunker heads) in blitz conditions if the cut bait is fresh. To be fair a bare hook might have worked in those conditions as well.

For live bait stick with Spot, Bunker, and Eels. I firmly believe a big hungry striper will eat anything it wants, but those three work all over the eastern seaboard. Some Jersey guys love clams and others swear by bloodworms, but I've never hade much luck with either.

As far as artificials I've thrown bucktail's, swimbaits, Sluggos/BKD/Hogy/Magnum Super Flukes, Bombers, various metals, BIG Rattlebaits, and topwaters all with success. Also I love me the Smelly Jelly in Menhaden/Bunker...makes everything smell like live bait :-)
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
        X