In Delaware today need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Delaware today need help!

I'm picking up a new kayak from Delaware paddle sports. So can I get a one day Delaware license and fish chsp? Will the water be relatively calm inside the cove area around the rock walls? I never been before just looking at pics, lol. Any advice? It's of course a new boat so I like to take it easy the first few trips! Thanks

Where would I launch and what cost? What fish could I target? Thanks!
    Cuda 14
    Big tuna

They have two options 7day or yearly. An out of state Yearly fishing license is $22 or $25 while a 7 day is something like $15. I fished Trap Pond Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday with Thursday evening being only time I didn't fish due to that monster storm.

Comment

Usually when there is wind one of the sides of the wall should be fishable. The inner wall is calmer than the outer and when there is little wind it is not choppy at all, however when there is high wind it can get pretty bad especially at the outer wall. You should have no problem I think if the wind is 8 mph and under for the inner wall.

To get into the park you have to pay an $8 entrance fee so I recommend buying the season pass for $48? I believe if you plan on going a lot. There are two launches here and you will need a cart (balloon tires recommended) because you will have to pull the kayak through the sand. when you enter the parking lot to the pier there will be a small path on the left leading the to beach and on the right there is another path next to the bait shop and kayak rental place. Both sides will work but the left side is shorter and the water is deeper at the launch.

There are plenty of fish to target at CHSP in the summer at the rock walls many targeted triggerfish (some may still be around) and tog although the bite isn't good late in the summer. The season is closed until October and the tog bite will pick up when the water is colder. Also right now there should be blues in the area as of now and possibly croaker. You can also catch flounder around the pilings and around the rock wall. There are also striper there, but haven't ever targeted them.

If this is your first time I suggest maybe trying calmer water first without anything for a couple trips on the yak to find out what you need and see how it paddles first. That way you see what you actually need and don't but things that you don't need. It also gives you a feel for where you want to install things i.e. rod holders or a fish finder.
      Last edited by M_Duong60; 09-14-2013, 09:10 AM.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for the help we got caught in traffic and got in too late.
        Cuda 14
        Big tuna

Comment

Working...
        X