reservoir crankbait bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reservoir crankbait bite

central MD reservoir crankbait bite is ON and has put big catfish, walleye, pike, and largemouth in the boat the last two weeks.

Here's three big LMB from yesterday and today.

no joke.

(sorry if I don't reply to posts, I'm back out on the lake).

justacanoe

nice looking largemouths! I hope the bite is still on tomorrow (but bluebird conditions may slow it down some)
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Nice bass !! I only caught one fish ( yours could have eat'n this one ) at my local reservoir last Fri. I guess I wasn't using the right crankbait . Nice going !
      John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

The LM bite was on in DE this week as well. Although, I was only throwing topwater and they were killing it!

Comment

Dave, do you think the pressure change leading up to last night may have had an effect on the bite being on, and do you think the bite will be negatively affected on Sat/Sunday as a result of that pressure change? Do you find that there is a couple of days where the fish need time to recuperate from the effects of such a big change?
          John

Cuda 12
          F&S Eagle Talon 12

Comment

Nice WSSC bass there!

Comment

Nice Fish,

I've never been a big crankbait fisherman mostly to being too cheap to buy and lose these great looking lures but after reading this I may need to start. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Crankbaits-Minnows-Fishing-ebook/dp/B00DE0BWKK/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1379118451&sr=8-19&keywords=crankbait
              PigPen - Mt Airy
              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

here is the barometer chart I started using recently.

http://graphbarometer.com/?x=KDCA&y=Washington DC, Reagan National Airport

I had an off-the-charts bite during a rapidly falling barometer during bluebird skies. However, when I fished two days later as the barometer bottomed-out and the storm arrived, I got skunked.

I've been using medium and deep divers, casting and trolling.

Other thing is getting on a big fish spot. (I know, easier said than done). I only had two reliable spots this week and they were separated by about 3.5 miles of water. As the Fall goes on, these spots will change as bass follow the shad so you have to keep moving and use your electronics.
                Last edited by justacanoe; 09-14-2013, 07:36 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by wedge View Post
                  Dave, do you think the pressure change leading up to last night may have had an effect on the bite being on, and do you think the bite will be negatively affected on Sat/Sunday as a result of that pressure change? Do you find that there is a couple of days where the fish need time to recuperate from the effects of such a big change?
                  Yes, I think that is pretty much what happens. The predators may feed so heavily during the falling barometer period that a large percentage of them are full of food and mostly inactive and resting in the immediate aftermath.
                  Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

some more from today, not all on cranks. two went over 5 and one was long and big-eyed, but not weighed.

Comment

Awesome catches. I caught my personal best LM last Sunday at Triadelphia. 22". Did not have a scale to weigh it. I'm guessing at least 6.5lbs.

IMG_0490.jpg
                      IMG_0492.jpg
                      John D.
                      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                      GO RAVENS!!!
                      GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

In addition to crankbaits, top water action is really good. I went out on an impromptu trip this morning to a smallish 14 acre pond near Frederick and got 20 bass and one monster sunny. Half the bass were on a white and black 1/8 oz. Rick Clunn square bill crankbait, the other half were on a silver 1/4 oz. BPS popper with a white tail. None of the bass were very big but it was a lot of fun. The highlight of the morning was a double hook-up on the popper. Both fish hit it simultaneously and got hooked, one on each treble. (Damn why didn't I bring the camera!) Since they were hooked so close together they couldn't ever get in sync, they just thrashed and it felt more like reeling in a branch than a fish.

-Mike
                        Mike
                        Feelfree Lure 11.5
                        Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Those are all nice ones. WTG. If you got them at Triadelphia, double WTG. That's a tough lake to fish.
                          Hurricane Skimmer 128
                          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Working...
                          X