Newbie here please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here please help

Hey guys I'm a life long fisherman I'm 30 years young. Any hoot I've recently bought my first kayak after kayaking the Florida canals fishing on my honeymoon. I purchased a fs10 angler by ascend. I plan to launch into the patapsco river this weekend and I'm curious what kind of needed mods to my craft do I need or does every1 suggest? I will be taking to Ft.Smallwood and loch raven as well. I also can't finda clear answer to MD laws on kayak. I want to be sure I'm on the up and up. I don't need to license/register my kayak if I don't have a motor correct? And what else does MD law require I do or have inboard? Thanks guys

Welcome! As far as the yak no license unless using a motor. You need PFD and if out at night a flashlight to signal oncoming vessel or 360 light. Sounding device ie: whistle or horn.

Comment

If you plan on using your kayak else where like smallwood and patapsico you cant fish loch raven. Raven you need a yearly sticker visible on the craft. If DNR sees it they either take the sticker and fine you, or take your boat and fine you.

But depends on what you want. Are you going to troll? or are you just fishing. The 2 rod holders behind the seat may be enough if you are not trolling. I would suggest a crate with 2-4 rod holders in that as well. Mayb a depth finder, and my new favorite thing is the push pole 8ft that you can use as an anchor by shoving it into the ground to stay in a particular area.

I have a 6ft and it works well in shallow water.
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I think you'll find that your needs will evolve as you refine your fishing techniques.

Take a look at the various rigging posts on-line here to get ideas and employ/modify those that appeal to you and your circumstances.

Rigging your boat and fiddling with it to make it just right for you is one of the (many) fun things about kayak angling.

Welcome to the hobby and to this site.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

YUP, Loch Raven and Pretty boy are off limits if your boat even sees a minute in another waterway, and vice versa.
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

There's a good launch at the Harbor Hospital (Rt2, Hanover Street Bridge) on the tidal Middle Branch Patapsco. I've launched there scores of times over the past 10 years. Fall is a good time there for stripers, although some years are hit&miss. But if I've launched there so many times over the years I must catch enough nice stripers to keep me going back. OH, and a fish finder is a must have.

Caught January 9, 2013
            HH-WWD,1-9-13.jpg
            Last edited by HJS; 09-13-2013, 09:22 AM.
            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by HJS View Post
              There's a good launch at the Harbor Hospital (Rt2, Hanover Street Bridge) on the tidal Middle Branch Patapsco. I've launched there scores of times over the past 10 years. Fall is a good time there for stripers, although some years are hit&miss. But if I've launched there so many times over the years I must catch enough nice stripers to keep me going back. OH, and a fish finder is a must have.

Caught January 9, 2013
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9022[/ATTACH]
              Would u be willing to launch from there with me and show me the ropes and needed tackle? I'd greatly appreciate any help u can offer

Comment

Matty - I'm a hardcore solo fisherman. Plus, I use a 40# trolling motor on my canoe and cover a lot of ground sometimes out as far as Fort McHenry. I fish fast and move a lot to find fish. I'd suggest fishing bridge pylons, old piers and riprap. Lots of visible structure there to cast to.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                X