Upper Potomac was kind to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac was kind to me

I took the day off Friday and had the morning free. I hit the Upper Potomac. This summer on this river for me has been good for catching fish, but not for size. It has ben one dink after another.

It was a pretty morning. The air was very cool and the water was warmer than the air when I started. I got a nice blow up on the first cast with a black a gold buzzer. A few minutes later I caught this fish. DSCF7225.jpg

The buzz bait action slowed after a while. I beached the yak, waded some and picked up a bunch of small bass and sunnies on a black and gold Rapala. Then I got back in the yak and worked my was upstream to a nice pool area with some islands. I cast a Case magic stick and caught a couple including this one. DSCF7228.jpg

A couple more small ones and them up to the next pool. I was fishing a grub and in one area of nice deep water had two big smallies follow in the grub. They wouldn't bite. I changed to a big white fluke. and anchored so I could fish that large hole. A long cast with the fluke and he hit it on the drop. A nice 17".DSCF7229.jpg

I caught another in the fluke in the same pool.

DSCF7230.jpg

Then I started back to the put in, I was fishing a large eddy behind an island working the fluke like a walk the dog topwater. This one blew up on it. DSCF7231.jpg

It was a pretty day and really nice to get into some nice fish on one of my favorite close to home waters.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Great Job! Those are some very Nice Smallies!
    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Those are some quality smallmouth bass! Nice job!

It has been the "summer of dinks" (which probably bodes well for the future of the fishery) but those photos show the better fish are still out there to be caught.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Great day for you.

The dinks have been common for years. My friends and I used to call them clones. So I don't know if this if this is an extraordinary year for them or not. But their presence makes your larger catches all the more notable.

Congrats.
        Last edited by Mark; 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice batch of fish. Runnin - How do you rig the fluke you were using?
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            The dinks have been common for years. My friends and I used to call them clones. So I don't know if this if this is an extraordinary year for them or not.
            This particular year class of dinks seems to be really strong. Must have been a banner year for that spring's spawn. We had a year class like this 6-7 years ago and when that particular year class got up to the 16" - 17" range I had some really great outings on the upper Potomac.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Dave,

You may be right. The Maryland DNR reported larger than normal Smallmouth hatches in the Monocacy for 2011 and 2012. Conditions may have been favorable also in the Potomac for those years.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice job Runnin, I have to get back out there soon. Thanks for the report!

Mike
                Mike
                Feelfree Lure 11.5
                Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Working...
                X