Plan A foiled by wind; Plan B produced stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan A foiled by wind; Plan B produced stripers

Mark and I planned to fish in Eastern Bay and Poplar Island this morning from my 16' center console "Small But Perky". We launched from Shipping Creek ramp about 7:30 and headed south. For the first mile, the land mass blocked the wind, but after that we had strong winds and steady 2 foot waves on the stern. We could have run with the waves, but I was worried about coming back a few hours later. After going out less than 3 miles, I turned the boat around, returned to the ramp, and put it on the trailer. Plan A was shot.

I considered relaunching at Sandy Point, but as we came back across the bay the waves looked unpleasant. We opted instead for launching at Truxtun Park and fishing the Severn. Mark had not launched from there and enjoyed the scenery of Spa Creek, downtown Annapolis, and the Naval Academy. We began fishing near Greenbury Pt. While trolling light rods and small lures near the shoreline, one rod went down hard. I was running the bow mounted trolling motor and let Mark grab the rod from the rear rod holder. He said it was a nice striper, but it came unglued before getting to the boat -- I never saw it. We worked the area a while longer but found just a few mid-teens rockfish.

I showed Mark a few spots further upriver, including several debris piles in the section of the river near Jonas Green. We tucked into sheltered cove that is a good place to fish from a kayak. Mark managed a sweet 18" rockfish in shallow water along the shoreline in the cove.

001.jpg 001a.jpg

He was fishing a spinner lure with twister tail. I had rigged all my rods with larger lures in anticipation of fishing in Eastern Bay. I was too lazy to tie on a spinner, and as a result, did not catch much at all today.

I spend a lot of time in the Severn, but usually it is in the kayak and is concentrated in a small radius area. It was fun to visit some other spots too. We ran up to Round Bay then headed back to Spa Creek with the wind at our back.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks a bunch John. I really enjoyed the day. Plan B was just fine.

It's amazing how often nice sized stripers roam with the white perch close to shore. I've caught more than a few stripers that way in the Severn this year.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great report guys!

Comment

Nice report John...6 of us launched out of SPSP this morning. The first three hours were dicey. A few of us tucked in behind the rock pillion for some appreciated shelter.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Working...
        X