Rod Holder/Fish Finder Mount Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Holder/Fish Finder Mount Question

I have an idea that I plan on running with for rigging my yak. I plan on using this triple mount holder up front on my yak:

When I purchase my scotty rod holders, is there a special adapter needed to fit in the above piece? The plan is to have a rod holder on each side, with my fish finder mounted in the center hole...which brings me to my next question.

What adapter would be needed to mount the fishfinder to the hole in the middle? I plan to have it like this:

Thanks!
    <insert witty comment here>

Your Scotty's will plug right in and you'll probably need the fishfinder adapter. It's just a flat piece of plastic with a Scotty plug on the bottom. It is pre-drilled to fit most models. Should be good to go!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Excellent, thanks!

Comment

I didn't initially see it when I looked on ACK's site, but here it is!

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...-Post-274.html

I will probably order this stuff next week to do something similar to this guy

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/com...ad.php?t=79744

Comment

Wouldn't it be just as easy to mount the FF on the flat area just in front of the battery compartment. What is shown may be awkward, moving the mount everytime you access the battery compartment. Unless you take the transducer out and remove the entire mounting system when not in use. The transducer has a really long coil of wire, which will need to be stowed. I have a smaller screen than what is shown, and I don't have any trouble seeing the FF from the front. Also, if you bring a large fish onboard, will the FF be in the way so close. Otherwise, one of the self contained portable units may be better and strap that in. Just some possible considerations that I noticed.

The Scotty mounting bar seems like a better solution, mounted in front of the battery compartment. Of course, instead of a coffee cup, a beer would look better. Ahh, decisions, decesions, decisions.
          Last edited by DOGFISH; 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

How often do you end up having to access the battery while on the water? I'm planning this under the assumption/impression that once the battery lid is secured pre-launch, I'll have no need to go in there until after my trip is complete.

I definitely need to get some more seat time before I make this modification. I have to see how easy it will be to reach that far to play with the FF, and fiddle with the fishing rods should I install this forward of the batter box lid. I don't want to have to lift my ass out of the seat to grab the rods or to put them back.

I tried searching to see just how wide the triple holder is, but I couldn't find any dimensions. Does anybody have any idea of the width of this piece?

EDIT: Found it...17" wide
            Last edited by MetroMan; 02-01-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

This might be another rod holder option. I installed some Ram ball mounts to the area on either side of the sonar shield. I think this could be done on the area above the battery compartment. This would separate the rod holders and allow you to adjust them independently. They are also easy to remove or lay down for transport. The sell allot of accessories to fit all kind of gadgets on the balls as well.

The only downside i have experienced is when trolling heaver rods and not completely tightening the ball coupler down. You will also want to add a backing plate of some sort to stiffen up the mounting location. This is something i will need to do this winter.
              Last edited by mmanolis2001; 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Yeungling, FTW.

That looks like a good option as well. Hopefully I can get some seat time soon to help me figure out what will be best for me.

Comment

Can't you get the new Rod Pod cover? Why not go that route and throw all the Scotty stuff on it you want?

MYT

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                    Can't you get the new Rod Pod cover? Why not go that route and throw all the Scotty stuff on it you want?

MYT
                    Ooops just looked... guess not... LOL!

MYT

Comment

Make sure you use a backing plat with the ram balls if you go that route. Also, use a file to rough up the ball, it will help it hold position. I need to fix my Ram ball on the front of my kayak for that reason.

I'm not sure how much you need to fiddle with the DF on the water, once I get mine set I usually leave it alone. I'm pretty flexible though, used to be a kicker and a skier, so I can reach past my toes to adjust stuff. You could also use a tool like a dehooker to reach further that you may already carry. If I had a gps unit I would probably need to interact more with mine. The scotty 3 way looks like it might suite your needs but you may also be able to get by with scotty's in the outer edge of the footwells and then just mount the fish finder behind the battery compartment or on an additional mount. The small round flush mounted scotty fits in surprisingly small places but does require a more invasive install.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                        Ooops just looked... guess not... LOL!

MYT
                        You, SIDDOWN

Comment

Redfish,

I will see how things go on my maiden voyage and go from there

Comment

Ah yes, the dehooker as an extension. I used one like that when I had the 15' Trident. I also learned to put a leg over each side and shimmy forward. There always seems to be a way.

Comment

I approve of the legs over shimmy. That's what i do to reach the FF and adjust the rod holders. Not the best sight on the water but it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X