Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Trigs Galore! 8-31-13, Sat

CHSP Trigs Galore! 8-31-13, Sat

Wow, what a catchin' day! With live sand fleas, I targeted togs and triggerfish. No togs, but I caught one toad and a bunch of triggers.

I caught ten triggers (11 - 17") at the Inner Wall. Some of the triggers were quite feisty.....spooled my reel a couple feet. It was fun. I had a big one spool my line about ten feet as is surfaced to show me its familiar trigger head. It then went deep into a hole, and it disappointingly spit the hook. Anyway, when I was putting the 8th trigger in my fish bag, I was thinking I hope I don't catch any more fish because the bag was already full......lol... I got tired of taking pics after every catch so I didn't snap all fish.

Spur of the moment video (I was holding the camera)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w47e8sp_fM

Thanks, Joe, for all the tips you've passed on to us from all your fishing/spearing experience at CHSP.

Did I go to the Outer Wall, even though the water was very calm? It was noon and I had already bagged 10 triggers. Had plenty keepers so I decided not to go. For what.....lol....

Anyway, triggers are delicious so I'm a happy camper. My neighbor loves fish too.

The wx turned out to be near perfect. Mostly sunny. The wind was light. The water was nearly flat with less than a foot chops in the afternoon. So, this has to be among the best yak fishing trips - my best ever at CHSP.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

More pics
    Attached Files

Comment

Man wish I went Saturday ah well I guess the gamble paid off. It looks like you caught the whole school and I think I know where you were on the wall. It seems to consistently produce fish...Geez I can't get over the fact that you got 10! Must have been a fun day.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
        Man wish I went Saturday ah well I guess the gamble paid off. It looks like you caught the whole school and I think I know where you were on the wall. It seems to consistently produce fish...Geez I can't get over the fact that you got 10! Must have been a fun day.
        Actually, it was no gamble. Forecast was normal as when I've seen it before, 10-15 mph winds, which is very doable to me. It was just lucky the actual wx was better than the forecast.....could have been worse. You never know....you just got to go.

I actually searched and found new spots, but you know, if you try hard enough you can find and catch fish anywhere. Next time we're on the water we'll see if our spots are the same.

What makes it fun is that they're very good bait stealers with their small mouths. Often times I'd pull up for a bait check and the bait was cleanly gone........and I didn't feel any tap at all. It was really fun catchin' them, but it would have been more fun if you guys were out there too.
        Last edited by tufnik; 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Awesome!!!
          When you said you just landed a 17 incher, I was all excited. We were leaving the boat ramp at Buzz's marina for the SJC inlet

OK, what is the next? Are you planning to fish the CBBT area? Tog seasons reopen on Sep 19 (VA) and Sep 29 (DE). I think I will fish for spade or sheepie at CBBT.

Joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 09-01-2013, 03:01 PM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Yeah, just shy of 17", Joe.

Here's another pic. Took the fish out of the cooler this afternoon. Isn't that a wonderful sight? They're ready for filleting.
            Attached Files

Comment

WTG Tufnik!! Looks like you got a nice mess of SAMwiches!!! Lol

Comment

Wow, very nice!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm gonna be in that neck of the woods this weekend. Did you have the sand fleas on a hi-lo rig? What size hook and what type of line for your leader? Also, where do you get sand fleas that is close by?
                  Hobie Revolution

Comment

Good work man you really bagged them!

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

How do you unhook those suckers? They are a species I'd like to target and catch one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Striper_MIKE View Post
                        I'm gonna be in that neck of the woods this weekend. Did you have the sand fleas on a hi-lo rig? What size hook and what type of line for your leader? Also, where do you get sand fleas that is close by?
                        Look at CHSP Plans thread
                        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

There's several rig variations. Here's my set up (it's actually my tog rig): 3 feet leader (60# mono), 2 oz sinker on the bottom, and hi/lo hooks. I've been using 1/0 on top and 3/0 on bottom to experiment. I really don't see a difference. I've caught small triggers on both hooks. Some guys use #1 hooks. You would think but I can't say the smaller the better. I have a bunch, so I would use 1/0.

Unhook them like any other fish. Grab the hook with your pliers and shake or pull it off. Watch out for that sharp dorsal spine - it can hurt you.

I buy live sand fleas from Lewes Harbour Marina. About $5 a quart. At most, I've used half on a trip. I have no problem using frozen sand fleas. They work fine. Shrimp and clams are good too.

Trigs should still be around for weeks as long the water temp remains warm.

Good luck!
                          Last edited by tufnik; 09-03-2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X