What's a good place to camp/Kayak near Harrisburg, Pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good place to camp/Kayak near Harrisburg, Pa

As the title implies, a buddy and I would like to camp/fish the Susqy near Harrisburg. We will be coming up from Delaware to catch some smallies and whatever else wants to bite our flies and lures. Never been up there except to visit Cabelas so don't really know the area very well. Any help on a good place to camp hopefully near or on the river would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jason

I've never camped near Harrisburg so I have zero first hand knowledge. Google is your friend. Type in "Camping near Harrisburg PA". The closes campground might be Riverfront Campground located right where the Susky meets the Juniata River. I've never been there but I think they run canoe/kayak shuttles and rent boats.

Just to be sure you are aware, all of the Susky within many miles of Harrisburg is year-round catch & return for smbass.
    Last edited by HJS; 08-31-2013, 06:09 PM.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I Know Google is my friend and have been doing so. Don't keep or eat fish really so no issues there, just like the way a fish pulls on my line ( obsessed with it actually). Thought maybe some of the guys that live that way could give some direction if possible. Doesn't have to be near Harrisburg necessarily, just an area that gets brought up a lot. Want to stay within three hours of lower Delaware. I've even used the search button here and not come with much either by the way. Thanks in advance again for any advice

Jason

Comment

HJS , just wanted to thank you on the research. I did end up booking a weekend at River Front Bass Camp in a couple weekends. If anyone wants to see some of the quality smallies coming from that area you should check out Ken Pen Rods site to see some of the Hawgs they are catching along with the guys on here! Man am I excited! Thanks again for the reply HJS and will let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Delawhere? View Post
          HJS , just wanted to thank you on the research. I did end up booking a weekend at River Front Bass Camp in a couple weekends. If anyone wants to see some of the quality smallies coming from that area you should check out Ken Pen Rods site to see some of the Hawgs they are catching along with the guys on here! Man am I excited! Thanks again for the reply HJS and will let you all know how it goes.
          +1 on the Riverfront Campground at the confluence of the Susqy & Juniata rivers...nothing fancy here but you are at fishable water...actually the confluance is a bit swift, but doable. They do run shuttles up-river, dont know the fee or the schedule. They have a little tackle shop there with some nice tubes & jig heads. Again, this is a fish camp...no frills...my wife & daughter would never consider staying here...if you considering taking the ladies...but my girls do require more frills than most. . Good luck
          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Off the top of my head, you can try high point lake, longarm dam, and Marburg lake.
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Lake Marburg is actually near Hanover, PA in Cordorus State Park.

The lake is deep with clear waters yet offers may shallow coves excellent for bass fishing.

The park has excellent camping facilities.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...orus/index.htm

It's always a good sign when the website has a photo of kayaks on the homepage!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Jason - Attached is a pic of my favorite lures to use on those Susky smallies... a 4" paddletail BassAssassin and a 5" BA, both in opening night color (light purpleish with silver glitter). I rig them on an appropriate sized straight shanked hook. I build up the shank of the hook with heavy thread then do a spiral of 30# mono. Then I paint on 2-part 5 minute epoxy then superglu the lure to the hook. The extra bulk of the hook shank provides a larger surface area for the superglu to get a death-grip in the soft plastic lure. I generally try to superglu a couple of lures the night before so by the next morning the superglu has dried fully hardened thru the entire lure. I hate it when the lure keep sliding down the shank and balling up in the hook bend. The superglu does wonders at holding the soft plastic lure in place for many fish. I fish these soft plastic lures by twitching them across the surface walk-the-dog style.

I also like the F9 gold rapala. I general don't like fishing treble hooked lure out of concern for causing excessive damage to the fish. But sometimes they are the only thing that works.

K Rigged 4in lures.JPG
                Howard

Comment

HJS, have you tried F11 rapalas in gold for smallies? I feel like the larger size catches more just because they can sense and see it from farther.
                  Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                  Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                  Northern Pike: 24 inches
                  Crappie: 12 inches
                  Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Be careful, rain up stream can make the river rise rapidly. I've seen whole islands disappear after an inch or two. I've heard people say the smallies up by the statue of liberty are spread out in the riffles since the water can be too turbid for most bass boats so the kayaks should do nicely up there. I like the art corps sites at Raystown Lake.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Thanks guys! Not looking for frills, just fish! I'll definitely bring some bass assassins/flukes and jerk baits. Really hoping to getting some on the fly, as it has been my most recent obsession after slaying stripers the last couple years here in Delaware. Have caught some small smallies on the Brandywine flyfishing but nothing over a pound and a half. I can not wait!

Comment

perchy - I think the F11 has 3 sets of trebles. I use to use them a lot decades ago but now having to deal with 2 sets of trebles is enough for me.
                        Howard

Comment

I am from Winchester VA, and I love the Susquehanna. The Riverfront campground is the perfect place to camp. Of course, you have to deal with the steady train traffic on the tracks that border the campground. At 3:00 a.m., it can sometes be frustrating . The 322 bridge up from the campground holds some quality fish. Pay attention to the old rubble bridge pickings above the bridge. If I had to bring only two baits with me to the Susquehanna, it would be a white 3/8 oz spinnerbait, and. Zoom 6" lizard. Good luck, bring a heating pad for your shoulder, those bass will hurt ya'!!
                          Martin

2013 Jackson Kayak Big Tuna

Comment

Working...
                          X