Mixed bag at Tridelphia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed bag at Tridelphia

Caught a few of everything from about 7-noon. 16" Smallie, dozens of immature stripers, LM bass, yellow perch, crappie, and a pickerel. Wanted to keep some but never could find any sizeable crappie or perch.

Mixed bag indeed. Dozens of stripers??? That's interesting. I know DNR stocks fingerlings in there from time to time. What size were they? You didn't mention white perch. There are a lot of white perch in there too.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

HJS,

I was thinking about that also, they could have been white perch and they were about 6-8" But I have caught stripers there before.

Comment

Congratulations Zak! I don't need to know locations, but I'm wondering what techniques or methods you used that were successful. A 16 inch smallie from there is a nice fish indeed.

Comment

I had no idea there were pickerel in Triadelphia too. I'm doing something wrong or totally fishing in the wrong area. Nice job!

Comment

Stand corrected again, was probably a Northern pike.

1/16 ounce tubes and curly tail grubs

Comment

I know people catch pike in Triadelphia. For some reason it hasn't happened for me there over the past 8 years. I'll keep at it. I must need to fish some different areas of the reservoir.

Comment

DNR says Rocky Gorge is better for pike. I've tried targeting them a few times throwing a mepps magnum musky killer spinner in the spring. I've seen pike up shallow in the fall, in the second cove heading down to the 29 bridge from Scott's Cove. The people I know who catch them have caught them on big spinners and spinnerbaits. They are supposed to get pretty big there too.
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I have caught a couple pickerel over the years at Triadelphia. I have also caught two Pike. The pickerel always came in the spring. Pike cam in summer fishing deep crank baits near dop offs. I wonder is the baby stripes were really white perch.those blasted things are thick Triadelphia.
                  Hurricane Skimmer 128
                  WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Check out this big pike this guy caught out of Rocky Gorge:

I'm pretty sure I have had a few deep cranks bitten off by pike there. That was back when I was using 10 lbs braid with no leader. They are supposed to grow faster and bigger in these areas since the temps are warmer.

Comment

The couple of people I know who have caught pike at Triadelphia have mostly caught them while trolling cranks in the summer.
                      I do know another guy that caught one shallow on a spinner bait in the spring there.
                      I have caught juvenile stripers at Triadelphia the past several years. I've almost always caught them in October and they have been in the branch arms of the reservoir.

Comment

I have caught baby stripers. They look nothing like white perch IMO. Do they reproduce naturally in the WSSC? I don't think their population density is very high there.

Comment

Working...
                        X