1 Triggerfish 8/30/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Triggerfish 8/30/13

Because of high winds forecasted for tomorrow I decided to fish today instead of Saturday not only avoiding the wind, but also the labor day weekend rush. I wasn't in any hurry so I didn't launch until a little past 1:00 pm.

As I made my way to the inner wall I felt weaker for some reason and out of it...maybe I didn't have enough to eat or sleep. Anyway I had trouble drifting along the walls seeing as there was little to no wind at the time.

While drifting against the wall I got a little nauseous which is odd for I usually don't get seasick that easily. While I passed an area in 15' of water I dropped down to look for some tog, but instead pulled up a 13'' croaker. I decided to move on seeing as the ferry boat was only about 25 yards away and was constantly coming back and forth.

After drifting for a while I caught a cunner and had a few nibbles here and there which I suspected were baby blues. I removed the shrimp for sand flea+shrimp combo and got no more nibbles. As I drifted across I felt some very subtle taps and set the hook. At first I thought I had snagged a rock, however after a few seconds that rock started moving and like triggerfish typically do moved sideways trying to run into the wall.

Now I am not sure if triggers try to duck under cracks when hooked, but I wasn't about to find out. The rod had plenty of backbone and easily changed the fishes direction (thanks again Michael and Efren) and before I knew it I landed a 17'' trigger which is the biggest one that I have heard caught there even though someone probably has caught one bigger.

I tried to locate the school for another 10 minuets or so, bit at this time I was feeling pretty sick and just decided to head back seeing as I still have 4 triggerfish fillets leftover in the freezer along with my 13'' croaker. I didn't think it was worth it to put myself through all of that trouble and headed to shore. I got there at around 3:30 and just fished for croaker while I tried to rest my head.

I am kind of upset that I couldn't catch a keeper tog this summer, bit will definitely try come back Columbus day in October when the water cools. Even though I couldn't catch more I feel like a 17'' trigger was a good way to end the summer and will have to put away the fishing rods and start hitting the books once again.

Good luck to all who plan on venturing out tomorrow there definitely still out there, but for how long I don't know.

man that was a long post for only one fish lol...I think this is my last report for a while so might as well make it memorable....I wonder if anyone will actually read the whole thing. Oh well hope this was entertaining for some people who had nothing else to do. Cant wait till next summer!
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

17" trigger is a huge trophy. excellent!!! I don't think anyone caught 17 incher yet at CHSP.

This make me go back to CHSP for big triggerfish in Sep.
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Posting pictures now...not sure what chsp will be like when the hordes of big blues come in. So far my total trigger count is only 8 definitely want to get some more before they travel south for the winter I will let you know if I can go sometime on the weekend if I have nothing going on, but I don't know how much work I will be given yet. Lets just hope were free on the same days.
      Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-31-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

P8300060.jpgP8300088.jpgP8300077.jpg

Comment

Nice going Minh! Sorry you weren't feeling well and I certainly hope you feel better. 17" trigger is a great way to end the summer bro!
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That is a huge trigger! Nice going! If you don't mind me asking, where are you attending school? I'm up in Philly for med school and was just curious. Anyway, hope you're felling better!

Comment

Originally posted by RxForFishin View Post
              That is a huge trigger! Nice going! If you don't mind me asking, where are you attending school? I'm up in Philly for med school and was just curious. Anyway, hope you're felling better!
              congrats for getting into med school! I'm still attending high school in VA, but usually spend 2 weeks in my parents condo during the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                congrats for getting into med school! I'm still attending high school in VA, but usually spend 2 weeks in my parents condo during the summer.
                Thanks! Good luck with the rest of high school and the college application process when that comes around. My grandparents have a small place in Lewes as well so I'm sure we'll run into each other there sometime.

Comment

I read the whole thing, that's a real nice fish!
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Congrats on the big trigger! Sounds like you might be a little dehydrated? Drink some coconut water and take it easy and see if that helps
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yeah, you have to drink a lot of water during the morning. Sometimes when I get so engrossed with fishing, I forget to drink. I then feel the headache and stuff in the afternoon, especially on warm days.

Anyway, nice fish. I recently realized those fish can put up a pretty good fight. Not all of them, but a few feisty ones can spool your reel.

If you're still after togs, MD season is still open. VA opens late Sept. DE reopens in Oct. Can't wait till the water cools down and tog activity goes up.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Did you still go to CHSP yesterday? If so any luck? I'm trying to fish CHSP again on Columbus Day weekend for togs. I think the water is still a little too warm for targeting togs successfully.

Comment

Check out my post on CHSP fishing, Minh.
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                          X