Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Plans on Sat, Aug 31, 2013

Some of us will fish regardless the wind - I am one of them

And also I found that some are new to saltwater/CHSP fishing. Here are something I learned for Triggerfish and Tautog fishing in July and August.

Bring a kayak cart

I found that Fresh shrimp and Sand flee are equally good for Triggerfish and Tog. You may not consider Green crab and Blue crab.

Fresh Shrimp: Bring a pair of scissors to cut. The most of the fresh shrimp were once frozen, in NE of America. I buy a box (4-5 lb 4-=6- count) of frozen shrimp with head on. The shrimp with head is more fresh that without the head. I cut the shrimp into 3-4 pieces (head is a bait) for Triggerfish and summer Tautog.

Sand Flee:

Google Map "bait shop near Lewes, DE" for live sand flee

Here are two Bait shops I went. Call the shop to see if the shops have the live sand flee (or frozen) first:

Lewes Harbor Marina
    217 Anglers Rd, Lewes, DE ‎
    (302) 645-6227

Bills Sport Shopmore info‎
    18388 Coastal Highway #10
    Lewes, DE 19958
    (302) 645-7654

For a 12 hour of fishing:

You may need two pints of sand flee
    or You may need 20 shrimp and 1 pint of sand flee
    or You may need 30 shrimp

The Summer Rigs at CHSP for both Triggerfish and Tautog:

First, Tautog aren't aggressive. Small bait and small hooks are preferred
    Secondly, use the same rig for both Triggerfish and Tautog

I found that the typical hi-lo tandem rig is the most effective because there is the second bait available at the same time you missed the first bite

I like Size 1 octopus hook. I buy Gamakatsu black hooks only, no more red ones because the red ones becomes dull fast while this never happens to the black ones. I am seriously about this.

Size 1/0 is OK if you can find size 1

Because the hook is small I use 30# test mono for dropper loop tandem rig. The 40 # test mono is too thick to go through the eye of the size 1 hook

The hi-log rig:

1.5-3 oz sinker
    The lower hook is placed 4-6 " above the sinker
    The upper hook is place 5-6 " above the lower hook
    The length of the mono leader between the upper hook and the Main line should be 2-3' -- This is the area that gets the most beating (rubbing against edges of the rocks. Braided line is very weak against abrasion I found. So if you are using braided line have a longer mono leader

Mono main line is OK at CHSP because you will be fishing in the shallow water in 4-15' of water. But I still prefer Braided

Jigging:

Most like you will be jigging in 4-12' of water
    No casting and retrieving for Triggerfish and Tautog. Vertical Jigging only
    Keep the line vertical to avoid snagging something
    For Trigger, maintain the rig on the top of rocks or bottom
    For Tautog, Try to stay if you found a sudden drop or crevice.
    No dragging the rig on the bottom. you will lose the rig. Maintain the rig slightly above the bottom by gently bouncing the sinker on the bottom. This way you know you need to go over a 3' high rock many times

If you see me catching fish. Fish the same spot I caught before fish move away.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-29-2013, 07:59 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I hope the winds die down because I plan to fish all day.

Comment

Hope forecast doesn't change much. Winds don't look bad, 5-15 mph from the south. It increases in the evening. South winds means both sides of the Outer Wall will get the wind.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
        I hope the winds die down because I plan to fish all day.
        Find me (blue Hobie and blue helmet with a cam) and fish next to me if you wish. When we find the school of fish, we fish very close to each other. So bumping into each other is common and that is OK.
        I am planning to start to fish the out side of the Inner Wall mainly.

I will be there at 08:00am

I think the best time for triggerfish is early morning and evening - I learned this summer.
        Watch out for the cop when you drive through towns. Check the speed limits in two towns

I put a bunch of holes on a gallon size zip bag using a paper hole puncher. I kept the sand flee in the bag and occasionally dip into the water to clean and cool them. Of course, when I drove from the bait shop to the park, I kept the sand flee in a zip bag without holes

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-29-2013, 09:46 PM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Cool. I will try to be there at 8:00 am. I have to stop by bait shop for some live sand fleas, I hope they open early lol. Btw, Do I just get in the park, drive to marina and launch from there?
          Last edited by Snakehead Hunter; 08-29-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the excellent tips. I hope to join you guys. It is a long drive for me so I will be there around 11am and fish untill dark.

The last time I was there I parked at the fishing pier and launched off the beach. There is a wide stretch of sand including the path which takes some effort to cross even with a cart. If there is an easier place to launch let me know.

Mike
            <MIKE>
            Sunrise Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler
            Yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angler

Comment

Originally posted by <MIKE> View Post
              The last time I was there I parked at the fishing pier and launched off the beach. There is a wide stretch of sand including the path which takes some effort to cross even with a cart. If there is an easier place to launch let me know.

Mike
              No easy paved path. I use the path next to the dumpster. The path is shorter and the water is deeper compare to the one next to the bait shop/Public bath room.

The soft sand is too much for me. I make 2 trips for launch, Kayak first then cooler, tackle bag and rod. When I come back, I reverse the sequence.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-30-2013, 05:27 AM.

Comment

It looks the wind will be too strong at CHSP. It will be very hard to maintain the position while jiiging. I suggest VA kayakers not go to CHSP.

Minh, I may head for St. Jerome's Creek if other VA kayakers are interested in this place

St Jerome Crek is well protected. I fished in winter in 15+ knots wind. The available species are Striper, Flounder, Bluefish, Speck, White Perch, Puppy Drum, Croaker, and spot. I will go for Speck

The depths of water is less than 12' at the inlet. It is very shallow the most of the part. Follow the channel marks if you are on a Hobie

St. Jerome Creek Launch:
                Buzz's Marina
                49675 Buzzs Marina WayRidge, MD 20680
                (301) 872-5887

I usually paid $5 last year for kayak launch.

Joe

Comment

Ok Joe I wasn't planning on going today anymore and have sandfleas to use up. Have fun at st.jeromes if you go
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Joe,

I'm in for speck. I just have to switch gears. Beside spoons and jig head, anything else I need for speck?

Khanh

Comment

Me and 3 others plan to head down to st jeromes tomorrow should be fun.
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Snakehead Hunter View Post
                        Joe,

I'm in for speck. I just have to switch gears. Beside spoons and jig head, anything else I need for speck?

Khanh
                        I knew you will be interested in St Jerome Creek. I haven't fished there since Last September, and I didn't follow the Fishing Report there. When I get home I will post more tips.

Joe

Comment

From my view, wind doesn't look that bad. Am still going to CHSP. Good luck at SJC!
                          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                            From my view, wind doesn't look that bad. Am still going to CHSP. Good luck at SJC!
                            It is not according to the current forecast for Hobie anglers. Regular kayaks drift (when wind picks up) faster than Hobie by 30%+ in general. Maintaining the vertical jigging over a certain spot on a regular kayak very close to the wall is very difficult in the wind. Freeing the stuck rig in the wind is no easy task right next to the wall while sitting on a regular kayak.
                            I think we will enjoy more at SJC.
                            Anyway good luck tomorrow, and I want to see pictures of big Trigger and Tog.

Joe

Comment

Snakehead Hunter,
                              We will have fun tomorrow. you will meet diehard NoVa kayak anglers. Anyway,

Kayak cart is not a must-have item at Buzz marina
                              Bring an anchor - with a 20-25' anchor line. I use 3lb grappling anchor. I use 40#tes mono for break line. Anchor is useful if you want cast at the same spot when the current is strong

Typical bass rod and reel are adequate - I will bring two bass rods. 15# test braided and 15# test mono leader for all species (12-15#test mono is adequate)

Striper Jigging:
                              1/2 - 1 OZ jig, 5 -7" soft lures (rat-tail or paddle color of your choice), you may bring spoons and plastic crank baits. If Bluefish are present you need 2DZ of soft lures

Bluefish - any striper lures

Speck - 3/32 - 3/8OZ jig with wide gap hook- I use 3/32OZ jig with wide gap hooks. The depth of the lure is depending on the line I put out (trolling)
                              Soft lures (3.5 - 4" paddle tail) color Silver body and Black back or Lures with sparkles

Puppy Drum: GULP Chartreuse 3 - 3.5" mullet, Gulp Shrimp (3") copper penny color, 3/32 - 1/2oz jig with big hook, I prefer red Jig head color, I like redfish Magic with golden blade

I bring rig for spot (with fish-bite blood worm flavor), spot can be live-lined for striper, flounder and Bluefish

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X