CHSP Tog (17.5”) & 8 Triggerfish (12-16”) Aug 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Tog (17.5”) & 8 Triggerfish (12-16”) Aug 25

My initial plan was hitting Jonas Green for WP for a short period of time. But when I crossed the Severn River, I decided to go to CHSP because my truck had been loaded for CHSP and I wanted to continuously fish the walls this summer.

While fishing at the Outer Wall, I called Minh to see if he wanted to come fishing because we had been talking about the outer wall fishing. After I caught 1 triggerfish and a good sized croaker, I came back to the inner wall to fish with Minh around 03:00pm

We fished for triggerfish with shrimp and sand flee combo (hi-lo rigs with #1 hooks). After a few toadfish and croaker, we decided to move to a deeper water. We figured that triggerfish weren’t in the shallow water (3-6’) by the wall. We wanted fish in 8-13’ of water very close to the wall.

While searching for the first triggerfish, we were talking about holes (8”-2' deep holes) that could hold tog. As I went through a nice 2' deep hole in 6’ of water, I felt something. I turned on the camera and fished the hole. There I set the hook and pulled the fish out of the hole/crack. It turned out to be a 17.5” tog. At the same area I landed 3 triggers @13-16".

After that Minh landed 4 triggerfish (at 13-16”) in a row

Fishing Log:

Joe with 4 triggerfish and a tog:

Minh with 4 triggerfish:

Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Nice job, Joe and Minh! Looks like it was a great time out there!

Comment

That's a good size trigger......the biggest I've heard caught yet. Man, I thought that place was running out of fish. Anyway, good work!

Did you pick up live sand fleas at that marina, Joe?
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow, very nice! I need to get back there...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          That's a good size trigger......the biggest I've heard caught yet. Man, I thought that place was running out of fish. Anyway, good work!

Did you pick up live sand fleas at that marina, Joe?
          Yes, I bought a pint from Lewes Harbor Marina

joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Nice catch guys. I have not caught or eaten a trigger before. How are their taste?

Comment

The flesh is very firm and is unfishy...very tasty made some fish sandwiches yesterday.
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

trigger might be my favorite tasting fish
                Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Moc,
                  Triggerfish and Tautog are now very popular to my non-fishing friends. All triggerfish and tog were picked up last night after I made sashimi quality fillet and the leftover for soup

Minh and I are planning to fish on Aug 31 (sat). Perhaps I drop the fish on the way back home - assuming I catch some.

Joe

Comment

Pinch,
                    Have you noticed something unusual about my new lucky rod? I have been carrying only one rod for CHSP fishing. The rod is truly for multi species, from spot to tog

joe

Comment

Joe,

Bunch of us from NVA might be coming up Saturday for round two.

Hope to see you out there.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Wx is looking good. You may just see me out there, Chris.
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                          Pinch,
                          Have you noticed something unusual about my new lucky rod? I have been carrying only one rod for CHSP fishing. The rod is truly for multi species, from spot to tog

joe
                          It looks familiar. Was the top guide replaced?
                          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                            It looks familiar. Was the top guide replaced?
                            I think Michael mentioned it. I don't recall if I checked and the top guied looked OK. I will check when I get home. Anyway it is a perfect rod for CHSP, especially in summer when togs are small and multiple species are available. In the shallow water, 6-20' with braided line, it forces me set the hook not-so-forcefully (triggerfish) because it is flexible.
                            I am still planning to buy a Trevala for CBBT and for the deeper water with heavier sinkers.

I just checked the top guide looked OK. Michael might fixed it.

Joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Nice going Minh!

Did you end up trying your experimental set-up?
                              -Mustafa
                              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                              X