8/25/13 Skunk Free at Triadelphia Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8/25/13 Skunk Free at Triadelphia Again

The weather was too beautiful to waste, so I hit Triadelphia at 4:30PM and fished until 7:00PM.
    Lots of people out on the water in kayaks and canoes making some noise. Also saw some bass boats loaded with 3 people on them enjoying the great weather. Didn't see anyone catch anything.

Within 10 minutes I connected with a 10.5" largemouth bass on a chartreuse grub.
    Threw a Mann Baby-1 for a while near some weed edges with no takers.
    Began trolling the grub in 5-12 feet of water and connected with two more little largemouths within the next 30 minutes. Trolled back and forth along the same section for the next 45 minutes and connected with a couple crappies and a shad. The shad seemed to try and eat the grub which made no sense because the shad's mouth was so small. Upon release the shad died. What a frail little thing....
    Trolled some main lake points with no takers.
    Went to a small cove that almost always produces a fish and ended up with a sunfish on the grub.
    Overall it was a very active evening with many species caught. I'll post some photos this evening.
    No white perch for some reason.....

Nice Tom,

Which ramp did you use, Greenbridge , Triadelphia, or Pigtail?
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Pigtail is my preference. The water level is down about 3 feet from a week ago. If it drops another 3 feet they will probably close the ramp.

Comment

You ever troll the creek channel that runs from main lake all the back to ramp at pigtail? I always thought that would be a good fall location.
        Hurricane Skimmer 128
        WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Here's the photos.

Last edited by DanMarino; 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Cool pics Tom. Is that sunfish a rock bass/warmouth? I've never seen that species in the WSSC before.
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I'm not sure Perchy. I was thinking it was a green sunfish. It definitely was not a rock bass.

Comment

Rock bass generally offer little to no resistance as you pull them in. If it put up any kind of fight it was probably not a rock bass.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It was different than the rock bass I've caught in the Patapsco or upper Potomac. It had green markings on its face like the sunfish do in the Potomac. I'm pretty sure it was tucked in some shaded cover when it darted out to eat the grub I was using.

Comment

There's a pretty good sunfish ID page here: http://tnfish.org/FishIdentification...cation_Key.htm
                    It's for Tennessee but the species are mostly the same.
                    -Mike
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

looks like a Green Sunfish, I like those little guys, they have a large mouth for a sunfish and frequently attack lures I intended for bass
                      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                      X