Failed RAM experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed RAM experiment

So I thought I'd be clever and use the RAM wedge mount for the Revo's mast to have a rig to hold my fish finder and some rod holders. I wanted to get rod holders on the Revo as fast as possible and suppressed my cheapskate instincts to try an experiment. So I picked up 2 RAM tubes, the RAM fish finder mount, a mounting bar, a small arm for my camera, and an arm to hold everything up.

Here's what it looked like:

However, it didn't work. There's too much leverage on the rod holders, and any pressure on them caused the wedge mount to spin in the mast tube. I might try sanding the wedge mount, but I don't think that will help. The entire rig was way floppier than I thought it would be, and the rod holders were just out of reach for me. Plus, the balls for the RAM mounting bar are really poorly designed. The mounting bar holes have notches like Scotty's, which won't fit, but the balls sit on top of the holes. It's almost impossible to tighten them enough so they won't spin, especially with the rod holders. I don't understand why they didn't put ridges on the ball. Anyway, I guess I'll get some narrow RAM mounts and put the tubes on the gunwales.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

nice job bill too bad its too loose. i spent a long time sitting in the revo looking for the right spots that i could reach and the mast was out of range for me. on my redfish and tarpon i used the scotty triple rod holder for ff and rod holders, worked well but had to move the ff on the tarpon because i used the upper flat spot to mount the triple and it was a little too far to reach so i mounted another scotty on the lower flat spot for the ff. for the revo the narrow area mounts from ram work well to mount to the gunwales, i put mine a little back of the center line of the drive to keep them from interfering with my feet but the mount is sturdy the ball might slip on a big hit but keeping the drag loose prevents the holder from coming out of position.

Comment

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the space savers. I like that they come with the backing plate. I think I can mount it by the front paddle support and still be able reach and paddle, but I'll have to look carefully a few more times. I think that location work for how I store it and transport it, too.
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Have you considered the Johnny Bar (by Mad Frog Gear) to mount your rods and FF? It's a removable platform that can be strapped to hard points on your yak.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i have seen those, but i have a problem with anything thats going across my legs on the kayak.JMHO

Comment

I've looked at those in the past, but I don't think it'll work for me. I need most of the foot area for pedaling. I'm just going to have to suck it up and drill some holes. I hear Sam's having a drilling party, so I think I'll take advantage of that.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Can't you can install it in front of your feet, which will be out of the way?
              2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
              2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

No, my legs are long enough that I need the entire area, one of the many draw backs of being 6'5". Don't get me started on airline travel. Anyway, I was even kicking the edge of the mounting bar with the toe of my wading boots as it is was. Plus, having it that far forward would make it kinda tough to reach the rod holders. They were too far to reach on the mounting bar without scooting up a little bit.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

if its in front of my feet it does no good because i cant reach it, the hobie seat recline slightly like a recumbent bike and reaching that far forward is difficult with out scooting up out of the seat.

surfs custom kayaks is open for business. if you need a hole i got the bit

Comment

Hey guys, I've given this some thought. Actually a lot and have a solution.

I don't like rear flush mounts. Too far back and useless for trolling. Most guys add Ram or Scotty holders up front. However, I like to drape my legs over the sides when drifting and didn't want anything in the way on either side. Also to keep the gunwales clear to re-enter should that little problem of turtling occur. Further ahead and too far to reach easily. For rod & tackle storage I tried a CratePak but found that cumbersome. Not really convenient for me.

I wanted something functional where I could see the rod tips when trolling and be able to reach the rod quickly and easily. I decided I wasn't going to drill a bunch of holes, either. Something flexible that looks good, too.

I found some West Coast forums where guys move their rear holders forward using PVC and various connectors. I set out to do this. While flexible & cheap a problem with PVC is that it looks an awful lot like plumbing! Then, after pricing out RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, extenders and clamps it wasn't all that cheap after all.

So, I reached out to my friends at Great Lakes Planers who have done work for me previously for the boat. After some back and forth discussion, measuring and re-measuring we've come up with a custom kayak rocket launcher!

Lightweight, made from aluminum, (gotta wash that salt spray off!) clamps together and slips into the rear flush mounts. I will use tie downs from underneath the unit to deck loops behind the seat to secure it in place. Completely modular. It can be configured in several ways. When all is said and done this cost me just $60-$70 more than several RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, bases and extenders. More functional and prettier, too. Can't wait for spring trolling season!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I still have a ram ball wedge that i tried using on a scotty base in my tarpon. Never could get it to tighten properly and it would loosen up with any kind of pressure.

Comment

Pretty sweet. It's got that hot rod look. Need some flames on the bow.

Hmmm... I like having a crate, and the three rod holders go where my fish bag sits, but something similar with a smaller cross bar that sits closer to the seat might work.
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

wow John thats really cool. 60-70 bucks they need to go into production! all my mounts are in front of the mesh pockets so they wont interfere with reentry. might be a little tough getting stuff from the back though

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                            Hey guys, I've given this some thought. Actually a lot and have a solution.

I don't like rear flush mounts. Too far back and useless for trolling. Most guys add Ram or Scotty holders up front. However, I like to drape my legs over the sides when drifting and didn't want anything in the way on either side. Also to keep the gunwales clear to re-enter should that little problem of turtling occur. Further ahead and too far to reach easily. For rod & tackle storage I tried a CratePak but found that cumbersome. Not really convenient for me.

I wanted something functional where I could see the rod tips when trolling and be able to reach the rod quickly and easily. I decided I wasn't going to drill a bunch of holes, either. Something flexible that looks good, too.

I found some West Coast forums where guys move their rear holders forward using PVC and various connectors. I set out to do this. While flexible & cheap a problem with PVC is that it looks an awful lot like plumbing! Then, after pricing out RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, extenders and clamps it wasn't all that cheap after all.

So, I reached out to my friends at Great Lakes Planers who have done work for me previously for the boat. After some back and forth discussion, measuring and re-measuring we've come up with a custom kayak rocket launcher!

Lightweight, made from aluminum, (gotta wash that salt spray off!) clamps together and slips into the rear flush mounts. I will use tie downs from underneath the unit to deck loops behind the seat to secure it in place. Completely modular. It can be configured in several ways. When all is said and done this cost me just $60-$70 more than several RAM/Scotty/Folbe holders, mounts, bases and extenders. More functional and prettier, too. Can't wait for spring trolling season!
                            HOLY SMOKES. I missed this. That is great. How heavy is the whole setup? That is some serious bling. I love it.

Comment

John that is seriously awesome. If your friend is ready to market those you should post your pictures and description in a separate thread, or on SOL and I think he'll have revo owners beating down his door!

Reminds me of this quote I keep in my cube

"
                              Never tell people how to do things.
                              Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
                              - General George Patton Jr"
                              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X