Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Anna, 1/29

Got my January fish!

Joe and I launched on the warm side around 10:30 and fished until 3:30. Water temperature was between 53* and 55*.

We spent most of the time trolling Joe's bass colored deep diving Normal crankbait. We trolled depths ranging from 12 to 50ft. Most fish seemed to be suspended between 15 and 20 in the deeper water. There were scattered marks on the bottom in 45-50ft, but we couldn't jig them up using a variety of lures. I also tried nightcrawlers on a bottom rig and had some nibbles but no full takers.

I ended up with two bass, and Joe ended up with one bass and at least four perch. All Joe's fish were caught trolling, and I caught one bass trolling and one casting. The bass were in the 14-16" range but really fat. The perch were 7-9". I lost a really nice bass (based on the fight) hooked while trolling, and Joe lost a few as well. All fish were hooked on the crankbait.

Here's Joe's bass:

Here's the perch:

The coolest part of the day was a bunch of sea gull diving on bait, then the largemouth bass showed up just like stripers in the Bay. I got my second bass casting the Norman crankbait into fracas.

It was a pretty awesome day, and it was good to fish with Joe again. Plus, he was kind enough to give me the perch he caught so I could share them with my folks for lunch on Sunday.

I got to play with the Revo some. I could only manage 5.3mph sprinting, and maintaining 4.0-4.5 seemed like a lot more work than in the Outback. It could just be that it's winter, and I'm out of shape. However, I think the lay out of the seat and pedals is different than the Outback because different muscles were burning. Even when I was out of shape, I seldom felt burning leg muscles in the Outback. I guess I'll have to build up the speed generating Revo muscles now. It does cut through chop nicely, though.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Nice January fish ! Very interesting information on the Revo Hull, do you have the Turbo fins already installed from your previous Outback hull?

TJ

Comment

TJ--I use the ST (non-turbo fins). I've kept the the same Mirage drive through all the hull exchanges I've done. I've avoided the Turbos because there were some hull and drive issues when they first came out, but I think Hobie has long since fixed those problems.

I was thinking about pedaling last night, and I think part of the reason for different muscles being used is because there's a good bit more leg room in the Revo. I don't think my leg extended that far in the Outback. I'll have to set my pedals back a notch and try it.

Did you get the sailing rudder?
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i thought with your long legs you would be closer to 6.7 - 7mph. really must be a difference between the st and turbo fins. nice job on the LMBs

Comment

"It could just be that it's winter, and I'm out of shape. However, I think the lay out of the seat and pedals is different than the Outback because different muscles were burning. Even when I was out of shape, I seldom felt burning leg muscles in the Outback. I guess I'll have to build up the speed generating Revo muscles now. It does cut through chop nicely, though."

Hmmmmm, and they say I'm geezing.

Comment

And here's the final product of yesterday's catch:

Ma's homemade tartar sauce kicked ass.

Sam--I was hoping for an easy 6mph. Not for any good reason, but it would cut some time off my trips to Drum Point. Plus, it would make up for my glacial land speed. I might have to look into the Turbos after all. I'll see what happens after I fiddle with the drive settings and put some more miles on her.

Don--No kidding. My activity level drops way off in the winter. No lunch time beach volleyball games, no mowing the lawn, and far less kayaking. Fortunately, the days are getting longer, so after work trips can resume.
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i know i really had to punch it to get 6.2 on the garmin and i couldnt do it for very long at first. i think once you get the drive adjusted the way you like the speed will increase.

those filets look pretty yummmy

Comment

The fish looks good.

Comment

Great report.

yummy, Fried perch samiches. I'm starving over here.

What kind of stringer is Joe using in that pic with the Perch? Is it hooked up to his trolley?

Comment

The line part of the stringer is actually weed whacker line. The nylon line that came with his string got too stinky, so he took off the clips and put them on the weed whacker line. He says it doesn't get smelly.
                    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Interesting, I think I also need to adjust my drive back. I am only 5'8 and was using it set on number 6 yesterday, though I was wearing booted waders and a life vest that pushed me forward a bit. I did not get the Sailing Rudder, still stock, and I loved it yesterday!

Eat enough of those North Anna Power station Perch and maybe you can attain a healthy green glow at night!

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      TJ--I use the ST (non-turbo fins). I've kept the the same Mirage drive through all the hull exchanges I've done. I've avoided the Turbos because there were some hull and drive issues when they first came out, but I think Hobie has long since fixed those problems.

I was thinking about pedaling last night, and I think part of the reason for different muscles being used is because there's a good bit more leg room in the Revo. I don't think my leg extended that far in the Outback. I'll have to set my pedals back a notch and try it.

Did you get the sailing rudder?

Comment

well at least Joe looks ready to do the dishes

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                          well at least Joe looks ready to do the dishes
                          Yeah, the helmet was for added safety.
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

REALLY Nice looking fillets Bill..
                            GB