Beautiful night on the Potomac - 8/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful night on the Potomac - 8/22

Went on an evening trip on the Potomac last night at Swainslock. It was a beautiful night. Water was clear. There was decent amount of people on the river. Saw a few wade fishers, a kayaker (looked like he had a Native Mariner), a Pontoon, and a couple guys in a canoe. Good night for wildlife. I saw the normal assortment of Great Blue Herons, Green Heron, and Kingfishers. There were deer and while portaging back to the truck I saw a very pretty Red Fox.

The sunfish and baby Bass were plentiful just as in the Brunswick trip last week. I ended up with 4 curly tail grubs sans tails by the end of the night.

All in all I did well. I picked up about a dozen smallies and a couple sunfish. The average size on the smallies was better than on the Brunswick trip. About half exceeded the 12" mark. Early on I caught my fish on curly tail grubs. They had to be swimming. No bites on the craw, or on the grub if it was on the bottom.

Had a nice surprise, caught a small largemouth on the fluke as well.

About an hour before sunset I encountered a very strong fluke bite. I was fishing a fluke like a surface bait. I wasn't using the "normal" fluke. I was using a white Zoom Baby fluke that has a paddle tail. It looks more like a cross between a small fluke and a money minnow. I love that bait. They liked it fished fairly slow so you had to keep the rod tip really high. I missed more than I hooked but I picked up most of my fish in that last hour. Same thing happened to me there last year when I had a fantastic outing and was fishing a Rapala like a topwater around the boulders.

Unfortunately I left my camera at home so no pics. Maybe next time.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Did you anchor?

Comment

I have an anchor but never used it. Just hide behind rocks in the eddy they create. or in a riffle just ground your yak on a rock to hold position. Current last night was mild.
      Always be careful anchoring in rivers. In strong currents if your anchor catches it can pull the boat under especially if you don't have a trolley and anchor from the bow.

I personally have never swamped by anchoring in current but have had a close call. It's especially dangerous with SIKs.

This is a pretty area. its about a 5 acre pool bounded by riffles at both ends. There are lots of car sized boulders scattered around like a rock garden. Very scenic at sunset.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I fish this area of the upper Potomac regularly and have had a few close call with using an anchor as well. I always keep my knife on hand if I need a quick cut. Recently, I purchased a heavier anchor and have used it, with the claw closed, just as kind of a drag chain. The flow of the river in this area is perfect for this method. Definitely slows your boat down greatly and sometimes will stop it completely. I know this method is not anything new but it has worked great for me in this area of the potomac.

Comment

Sounds like the perfect evening on the water.

Have you ever had any luck after dark for smallmouths on the Potomac? Once it gets really dark I can't seem to buy a bite but I have heard if you stay out much later into the night, the bite can come back on (and the bigger smallmouths are out and about).

Regarding anchors on the river, I use a version of this quick release:

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot...or-system.html

I do not use a claw anchor (I use a round 5 pound plate) but I count on the "quick release" feature of this setup to get me out of any trouble. Since the anchor is on the float you can come back and retrieve it after you have averted disaster.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

It's good til about 15 minutes or so after official sunset. Once it's more dark than light it shuts down. I
            Have never stayed out and truly night fished. There are no smallies but if you really want to try night fishing go to Black Hills. On the full moons in summer, they have a few night fishing days allowed. Maybe next summer we should have a night fishing mEet and greet.

That would be cool!
            Hurricane Skimmer 128
            WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
              It's good til about 15 minutes or so after official sunset. Once it's more dark than light it shuts down. I
              Have never stayed out and truly night fished. There are no smallies but if you really want to try night fishing go to Black Hills. On the full moons in summer, they have a few night fishing days allowed. Maybe next summer we should have a night fishing mEet and greet.

That would be cool!
              I agree!!!! Very cool!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin View Post
                There are no smallies but if you really want to try night fishing go to Black Hills. On the full moons in summer, they have a few night fishing days allowed.
                From the July night fishing night at Black Hills (jig with a craw trailer in 15 feet of water):

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                X