Rocky Gorge Crappies and Catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Gorge Crappies and Catfish

After getting skunked on several occasions throwing crankbaits and soft plastics, I decided to switch up tactics and use big number 5 mepps spinners to help the fish find my lure with the water clarity being so bad from all the rain we've been getting lately. Sooo... apparently that did the trick!

I ended up catching 4 crappies (largest being 12 inches), 2 small bass, and an 18 inch channel cat. That was my first channel cat from Rocky Gorge, and he put up a hell of a fight.

Last edited by perchy; 08-09-2013, 12:28 PM.
    Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
    Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
    Northern Pike: 24 inches
    Crappie: 12 inches
    Channel Catfish: 18 inches

I have always done well there using Mepps or Rooster Tails. Specially, this time of year.

Thanks for the report. I am planning a trip there on 17 August and every bit of intel helps.
    Last edited by mhossom; 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM.
    ---------------------------------
    Mike Hossom
    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I've done best with the big number 5 Aglia and Black Fury spinners. They are heavy enough to be fished deeper, and seem to get noticed more than the smaller number 3s and 4s. They seem to attract a variety of species as well. Once the weather cools down I'm going to try and target the Northern Pike using these large spinners too.
      Last edited by perchy; 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Those are some great looking fish. That's a big mouth on that crappie and that is one healthy kittie.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
        X