New Project – Budget Kayak Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project – Budget Kayak Rods

I learned the hard way last year that me + Kayak + Expensive Rod = Trouble. After breaking two rods last year I decided to place the expensive stuff in the corner and build a couple of cheap (If it breaks so be it) rods. I thought about going the ugly stick route but they never felt right in my hands and why buy when you can build one to your liking. So out with the titanium guides, Fine cork and IM8 blanks and in with the cheap.

BLANKS

Browsing through Mudholes blank selection I stumbled on their CRB budget blanks. The blanks are IM6, come in several actions, crazy blank color selection and they are priced right. They had two blanks that fit my build requirements so I took the plunge and purchased them.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...ummer-Specials

The CRB IS701L is a 7’ 8-12lb fast action blank. It handles 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure weights and should be a great lite jig / bottom fishing rod.

The CRB IS701M is a 7’ 14-18lb fast action blank. It handles 1 to 2 oz lure weights and should be a great heavy jig / bottom fishing / lite trolling rod

The blanks feel great. The finish is good and they are actually fairly lite. Not as lite as a High end blank but what can you expect for the price. The build quality and action look superb I think these are a winner

GUIDES

I decided to go with a Guide kit for the builds using American Tackle Halide guides. Nothing fancy just stamped black SS frames and the basic ring material. These will be heaver than the high end guides but the price was right. I don’t see the ring material being an issue with these. I have used Halide rings on other builds with braided line and have never had a problem with the line cutting into the ring material.

The kits include all needed guides minus the tip. Depending on the action I might need to add or remove a running guide but I think this should cover them.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...7-Casting-Rods

For the tips I used the same American Tackle Halide series.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...Spin-Cast-Tops

GRIPS

Again on the keeping it cheap route I am passing up the cork rings for some cheap EVA split grips. These are pre shaped and cheap. I won’t have to ream, sand and shape these grips for and hour (Time is Money). Just a little blending here and there and it should look great.

For the front and rear grip I picked up two of these.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...utt-with-Tenon

There classified as fighting butts but will work great for my needs. One in front of the reel seat and on behind. They are only 1.6” long and seeing I always palm the reel they fit perfectly in my hand.

For the butt end of the rod I picked up one of these

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...-Fighting-Butt

Again it’s EVA, pre shaped and cheap.

REEL SEAT

This is the only item I disregarded the price on. There are much cheaper seats available but there is one thing on this reel seat that popped out to me. The trigger has milled out slot and looks perfect for a new method to attach a rod leash. A loop of heavy mono or a large split ring thru there and it would make a great place to clip a leash too. Bye Bye Velcro leash straps.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...gger-Reel-Seat

With all the goodies totaled up it’s around $45.00 per rod minus the cost of epoxy, thread and rod finish. This will be much cheaper than my other builds. The last rod I broke had $60.00 invested in the guides alone.

So what is the difference between this and a cheap factory rod?

1. Its mine, I built it, No one has the same rod, etc…
    2. Custom handle length. On most factory rods 7’ and longer the rear grip is a tad to long for my taste. When sitting in a Kayak a shorter rear grip allows you to move the rod from hand to hand if needed without it bumping or grabbing your vest. It can also make working lures much easier for the same reasons.
    3. Better guide placement and proper spine alignment of the rod. Most cheap factory rods never spine the blank and just slap the guides on the straightest axis. I have also seen casting rods with factory guide placement allowing the line to touch and sometimes pass under the blank under load.
    4. Its winter and I need something to do…

I’m going to start the builds this weekend and will post any progress and testing here.

Any interest in a step-by-step tutorial on building a rod? I could take pics during the build and slap something together for the site if you think it would be helpful.

man i wish you hadnt posted this..... there goes my weekends
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I've been wanting to get into rod building... Where'd you learn mman?

Comment

thats pretty cool but i dont own any rod building stuff so i was looking through the cabelas catalog for a new rod for spring trophy season and came upon the whuppin salt sticks. 7' MH fast 15-30lb line and 1-4oz lure 2 piece to fit in my short bed 4x4 on sale for 50.00. read the reviews and they were 4.5 out of 5 some had problems with the guide near the reel but very few. blanks a blend of e and t glass with eva split grip handles, nothing fancy just a working rod for the yak

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
          I've been wanting to get into rod building... Where'd you learn mman?
          I learned by trial and error and a 5 page cabela's pamphlet. Built my first rod 22 years ago using a kit i purchased through a cabela's catalog.

It was ugly but it worked fine. I rebuilt that rod 3 or 4 more times making new mistakes and learning something new every time. I would also strip down factory rods i had and rebuild them.

The web has all the info you need to get started now. I wish i had that as a resource when i was starting out. It would have saved me time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            thats pretty cool but i dont own any rod building stuff so i was looking through the cabelas catalog for a new rod for spring trophy season and came upon the whuppin salt sticks. 7' MH fast 15-30lb line and 1-4oz lure 2 piece to fit in my short bed 4x4 on sale for 50.00. read the reviews and they were 4.5 out of 5 some had problems with the guide near the reel but very few. blanks a blend of e and t glass with eva split grip handles, nothing fancy just a working rod for the yak
            I understand completely. Its hard to believe how companies can make quality rods for so cheap. I just have too much time and not enough sense now.

I have always loved Cabelas rods. I have had several of the fish eagle I and II series rods and i loved them. In fact that's the company that got me started rod building and fly tying with their Kits. I loved flipping through their yearly catalog and highlighting everything i wanted but could not afford.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
              man i wish you hadnt posted this..... there goes my weekends
              Opps

Comment

Sounds awesome. Have you built anything with the Pac Bay Minima seats? They aren't that much more expensive. I just got a super discount Carrot Stix spinning rod, and I wish more spinning rods used that kind of seat.
                Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

If you wouldn't mind the step by step I think it would be awesome to follow along. I want to make my own rods at some point, but I think I'll hold of till next year, fishing season is right around the corner!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

OK ........ here I go again ........... I've spent the last 3 years having fun buying rod building stuff ........ so if you're interested ....... I can help teach you the basics on how to build rods ........ not an expert ..... I've got 3 power rod wrappers and a couple of hand wrappers but only 1 set up and everything to build rods .......

BTW ........ keep checking Swamplandtckle.com ........ they usually buyout the castaway last years stock and sell them at the Rodbuilding Expo and then sell what's left over for @ $15 or less ....... these are first quality and popular with the bass and redfish guys down south ...... I really like them and bought a bunch from them ......... If you call, tell Lance I said hi ..... usually have them in Feb March

My only problem is that I'm single and a Pig ........ got to get the basement fixed for multiple rodbuilders but I can let you use my stuff and show you how 1 person at a time right now ......

Let me know ......

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                      Sounds awesome. Have you built anything with the Pac Bay Minima seats? They aren't that much more expensive. I just got a super discount Carrot Stix spinning rod, and I wish more spinning rods used that kind of seat.
                      Not yet. Those reel seats are very nice and surprisingly comfy. I tried hacking a Fuji casting seat up several years ago in an attempt to get the lightest seat possible. It worked but it was rough, unfinished and generally looked like crap. Its nice to see ideas that were developed by the guru's in the custom building world make it to the factory rods. Skeleton seats, Split grips, Fore grip-less casting rods, Spiral wrapped guides etc...

I chose the above reel seat with a new method of attaching rod leashes in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                        OK ........ here I go again ........... I've spent the last 3 years having fun buying rod building stuff ........ so if you're interested ....... I can help teach you the basics on how to build rods ........ not an expert ..... I've got 3 power rod wrappers and a couple of hand wrappers but only 1 set up and everything to build rods .......

BTW ........ keep checking Swamplandtckle.com ........ they usually buyout the castaway last years stock and sell them at the Rodbuilding Expo and then sell what's left over for @ $15 or less ....... these are first quality and popular with the bass and redfish guys down south ...... I really like them and bought a bunch from them ......... If you call, tell Lance I said hi ..... usually have them in Feb March

My only problem is that I'm single and a Pig ........ got to get the basement fixed for multiple rodbuilders but I can let you use my stuff and show you how 1 person at a time right now ......

Let me know ......
                        This is a very generous offer and if you are interested in starting i would jump on it. Nothing is better than hands on instruction.

The swampland guys are A+ and make some great rods. Speaking of the custom Guru's they are high on the list. I would not be surprised if the micro guide setups they have been using over the past several years also make it to factory rods.

I have built several rods on castaway blanks and they are real nice. I will have to check out the site for some deals after the expo.

Comment

I learned from a friend who used to have a custom tackle shop on Mountain road in Pasadena. Some of you may remember Howard. I spent many hours in Howard's shop BSing with the him and a group of regulars who used to spend time there. However, MudHole tackle online or in the catalog has enough information in it to get you started, or use the, I believe it is the Flexcoat booklet. From there it starts. It is another addiction. I often wonder why I do it, when where are so many quality rods at an affordable price. However, it is nice to know that there is generally only one rod of your type. I don't get into all of the fancy weaves and wraps, I just like a clean solid rod. Big man, big rod.

I am stuck on very good quality components. Then again, I have only broken one of my custom rods on a cownose ray, but the ray was fun.

Some of you should take Memory up on his offer. There is nothing like personal instruction.

Comment

a buddy of mine has a custom rod shop in pasadena, ive had him do some custom rod work for me and some rod rehab very nice wrap and weaves. i wanted a 2 piece for the kayak but he only had 1 piece blanks so he cut one and made a nice 2 piece, took it to janes island and caught a nice keeper flounder on it then hooked up again and was fighting it and the rod snapped in 2 im sure his ears were burning that day. brought it back to him and we were looking at it and found out why it failed, forgot to double wrap the the joint oops. got a new rod and hasn't let me down since.

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                              This is a very generous offer and if you are interested in starting i would jump on it. Nothing is better than hands on instruction.

The swampland guys are A+ and make some great rods. Speaking of the custom Guru's they are high on the list. I would not be surprised if the micro guide setups they have been using over the past several years also make it to factory rods.

I have built several rods on castaway blanks and they are real nice. I will have to check out the site for some deals after the expo.
                              yes ....... definitely .........

Comment

Working...
                              X