PVC Cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Cart

Thought I would save some cash and made a pvc carrier for the new Revo that fits in the rear scuppers. I just need to find some foam insulation for the top bar since pool noodles are out of season!
    3/4" 40 Grade PVC, 8" lawnmower tires from Home Depot, total cost = $31.45 in parts. It seems very sturdy, will report back after testing on warmer days.

That looks good. You may want to invest in some wider inflatable wheels or tires, for sandy surfaces such as a beach. The more fat the tires, the more they will float over the sand. The ones you have will be just fine for hard or gravel surfaces. Good job.

Comment

Thanks DF! The threaded axel should be long enough so I could add one more of those tires on each side for sandy performance, hopefully give it some floatation.

Comment

Very nice. The idea of making a new cart for my Yak has been floating around my head for several months. How hard is it to pick up the back of the Yak and place the up-rites through the scupper holes?

Comment

Looks nice, TJ. Did you glue everything together, or can you take some if it apart?
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by tj06sti View Post
            Thanks DF! The threaded axel should be long enough so I could add one more of those tires on each side for sandy performance, hopefully give it some floatation.

Or, you could just swap them out when needed. I noticed the threaded axle with wing nuts. That makes things very flexible to make changes. The whole rig was a good idea. When you get the fat tires, get as wide as you can or that the PVC will withdtand. Sand is unforgiving. Again, that is why I like this forum.

To the response about the pvc sections thru the scupper holes, it is the only way to go. I used to use one of the sit-on-top type of dollys. The problem with those is that when you move through things like sand they slide or move around. The through the scupper type is fixed and the way to go. They are also quick and easy.

Comment

the first one i made with 1" sch. 40 snapped the first time out. went to 1.50 pvc and used reducers to .5 galv nipples. .5" emt conduit works well as an axle just drill holes and use quick pins to hold the tires on. i used the quick pins because i would change the tires between my tarpon and redfish which had different spacing between the scuppers and only 1 pair of wheeleez tires

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                Looks nice, TJ. Did you glue everything together, or can you take some if it apart?
                Thanks Bill, its all glued, can only take the axle and wheels off.

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                Or, you could just swap them out when needed. I noticed the threaded axle with wing nuts. That makes things very flexible to make changes. The whole rig was a good idea. When you get the fat tires, get as wide as you can or that the PVC will withdtand. Sand is unforgiving. Again, that is why I like this forum.
                Sand is definitely harsh stuff! I have almost gotten the truck stuck a few times down in OBX even aired down. Friend has some inflatable wide tires he is going to give me that he does not use anymore. They came from harborfreight. Woo free stuff.

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                the first one i made with 1" sch. 40 snapped the first time out. went to 1.50 pvc and used reducers to .5 galv nipples. .5" emt conduit works well as an axle just drill holes and use quick pins to hold the tires on. i used the quick pins because i would change the tires between my tarpon and redfish which had different spacing between the scuppers and only 1 pair of wheeleez tires
                Oh man, I hope this thing doesn't snap on the first try out! That is a good idea with the Conduit as the axle. I stumbled upon that piece of threaded metal doweling that was laying around at the house and used that for now. I think it will rust, so I'll probably be swapping it out for the conduit and quick pins.

Comment

yeah i hit a rut in a ramp and it snaped @#$%@ so i went back to the drawing board.

Comment

I just use my trailer as a dolly. I'm a geezer. Geezer, #&@*!, I just can't get over that.

However, I like the creativity. Maybe a metal strap, something like a hose clamp, aroung the PVC where the axle runs through, just behind the wheel, would give the PVC some added support in that stress area, to help prevent cracking. It looks well constructed in that area, but some metal would help. If everything works, but rusting occurs, some stainless all thread would also work. Otherwise, the conduit or aluminum tubing. Thats a good idea by surfdog. Maybe you could also drop some wooden dowl or old broom stick down into the uprights, for support should the PVC flex. Of course that is adding weight. Good Luck.
                    Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-27-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I made a cart similar to that, had problems with it snapping in sand even with bigger tires. Went to pinning the joints, not glued, problem solved. Also if going down stairs make a cap for the cart, holdes it in place when you pick up the stern. Also with the Hobie, fully loaded it would stretch the cart, so I added a second cross bar for support. Going to a solid 1 piece axle (think big piece of all thread) would solve that problem as well. What I need to find is a cheap deal on those Wheel EEz wheels, they are sweet for sand.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
                        I made a cart similar to that, had problems with it snapping in sand even with bigger tires. Went to pinning the joints, not glued, problem solved. Also if going down stairs make a cap for the cart, holdes it in place when you pick up the stern. Also with the Hobie, fully loaded it would stretch the cart, so I added a second cross bar for support. Going to a solid 1 piece axle (think big piece of all thread) would solve that problem as well. What I need to find is a cheap deal on those Wheel EEz wheels, they are sweet for sand.
                        when i used the 1/2" emt i used a 1 piece axil that went through 1/2 x 1 1/2 reducer bushings through tees. i had to ream the ridge out of them but they work great, i also pined the lower end so it would come apart if i wanted to stow it in the hatch. even going to 1 1/4 pvc will make a pretty strong cart

Comment

Well, knock on wood, this thing survived use through deep snow in the yard, to and from the truck, and karting it loaded into the water at Lake Anna back and fourth. It even survived me thinking I could be clever by setting the back of the kart/yak ontop of those rocks that block vehicular use on the trail at Anna, and walking it down them. Where were the problem areas/breakage prone areas for you guys?

Comment

mine snapped where the upright goes into the scupper right at the tee and it was a sch 80 pvc thicker wall pipe. i really think it was the rut that twisted the cart the wrong way when it snapped.

Comment

Thanks Sam, I am glad that is the weak point. I left the tops of the Uprights open, so I can reinforce those and will begin doing so!

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                              mine snapped where the upright goes into the scupper right at the tee and it was a sch 80 pvc thicker wall pipe. i really think it was the rut that twisted the cart the wrong way when it snapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X