CHSP Triggers/Togs 8-3-13, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Triggers/Togs 8-3-13, Sat

I was on the water 8 am. Wx was mostly cloudy, but the water was calm, the most calm I’ve ever seen at CHSP. Breeze was light. Many fishing and touring yakers were out.

I fished the Inner Wall looking for togs and triggers with my rig baited with frozen sand fleas. Caught only toads. I did meet other anglers who caught flounder and triggers.

After fishing the Inner Wall for over an hour I went to the Outer Wall and met ComeOnFish and Redfish. Redfish and I fished for togs and triggers with sand fleas, shrimp, and clams while Joe was diving with his deadly speargun on the ready. Joe joined us fishing after he was satisfied with his kills.

I had a lot so I used only frozen sand fleas, and caught croakers, lots of toads, two short togs and two triggers. They say to use #1 hooks for the small-mouthed triggers. As you can see, I got lucky and hooked them on 3/0.

The king fisher of the day was Joe. He almost limited out (4/5) on togs, but the togs all had big holes in them. Although I’d take them, I prefer fish without raw gaping holes……lol

Our last hooray during the end of the day was jigging for flounder at the pier structure. Only Mike caught a flounder.

We hit shore after 7 pm, after 11 hours on the water. Again, it was another good trip fishing with friends.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

It was great fishing with you guys! I definitely want to get a speargun now... Nothing worse than knowing there are fish there but they won't bite.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice going! Did you notice any difference between sand fleas and the other baits? Were the sand dredgers still there?

Michael, How big was your flounder?
      Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM.
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I had shrimp and clams too, but I used only frozen sand fleas because I had a lot and they worked fine.

Mike, the DE flounder limit is 17", same as MD. VA min is 16".

Yeah, I'm tempted to get a speargun too.......lol..

Comment

16" and I somehow hooked it in the tail? I was excited and thought I hooked a red because it felt like it hit hard and immediately screamed drag... Nope just a freaked out tail hooked flounder to break the cycle on small croaker and toads
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Redfish12; 08-04-2013, 04:55 PM.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
            I had shrimp and clams too, but I used only frozen sand fleas because I had a lot and they worked fine.

Mike, the DE flounder limit is 17", same as MD. VA min is 16".

Yeah, I'm tempted to get a speargun too.......lol..
            I thought the MD limit was 16''?

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
              I thought the MD limit was 16''?
              Oops. You're, right. VA and MD are the same.

Comment

Blackened triggerfish. Delicious!
                Attached Files

Comment

The water clarity, 4-10', was batter than last weekend. Here and there, about 15$ of time, I found clear area with 7-10' clarity where I found many tog at 15-25 inches after the first battery was drained. After the second battery was installed the water clarity became very poor.

I missed golden opportunities for a few big tog at (24") and a huge trigger fish because of the jammed trigger. The trigger got jammed before. This is another reason I need a new (and bigger) gun.

Video Log:

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-05-2013, 05:46 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I see what you mean. As soon as you see the fish, shoot. Otherwise, they're gone. Looks like your gun has to follow your eyes to get a quick shot.

Bigger gun. Bigger yak (Outback). I think you'll be set. Thanks for an interesting video, Joe.

Comment

I was there too with a friend. We were in grey and green hobies.

we launched at 6am. we started fishing the outer wall west side using shrimp and got some action on tiny seabass and all sizes of oyster toads. we then switched to green crab and pulled in a 17" and 15" tog, and a trigger fish estimated 12". these all came within a 30 minute window around 9am. we originally wanted to use sand fleas, since that's what seemed to work last week for tog, but bill's didn't have fleas at 5:30am.

it was a great day on the water. i'm new to kayak fishing... i had to borrow my friend's kayak. I got to meet Joe and redfish. I probably saw you too tufnik, but didn't recognize you.

also, i don't know if you guys are into sashimi, but trigger sashimi is even better than tog!

KakaoTalk_964bd5c31817eff7.jpgKakaoTalk_87000392163dd3fb.jpgKakaoTalk_b777b3f6e70049e6.jpgKakaoTalk_bc874755d306fe35.jpgphoto (1).jpg

Comment

Johnny, I've never had sashimi before, but that looks really good. Do you eat the fish by itself?

Joe, did you ever try digging for sand fleas at the beach?

Comment

minh,

we usually eat sashimi with soy sauce and wasabi or korean chili paste with vinegar wrapped with lettuce, sesame leaf, chili pepper, and thinly sliced garlic. we also cook maewoontang (spicy fish stew) with the bones and eat that with rice after. sometimes we broil the fish or carcass with oil and salt. i've only had trigger this one time, but it is the best sashimi i've had that i've caught, but cooked, it seemed a bit dry.

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                          Johnny, I've never had sashimi before, but that looks really good. Do you eat the fish by itself?

Joe, did you ever try digging for sand fleas at the beach?

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            I missed golden opportunities for a few big tog at (24") and a huge trigger fish because of the jammed trigger. The trigger got jammed before. This is another reason I need a new (and bigger) gun.

Joe
                            Joe, I use the Riffe Metal Tech #0 and it has no penetration issues.
                            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                              Joe, I use the Riffe Metal Tech #0 and it has no penetration issues.
                              Riffe Metal Tech #0 is a very good gun. But it is out of my reach. I need to by a Shimano Trevala, a new reel soon.
                              I think I will order what Josh has, Mako 60cm.

Joe
                              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
                              X