Beautiful morning in Eastern Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful morning in Eastern Bay

I took advantage of today's beautiful weather and spent the morning fishing different Eastern Bay region spots using different techniques from my Scout center console.

Most of the morning was spent casting a med-light spinning rod with 3/8-oz jighead and chartreuse 4" Gulp swimming mullet to shallow shoreline spots. The depths ranged from 1 - 5 ft. I appreciated having a trolling motor on the bow for better maneuverability and control. Although conditions looked good, the bite was very slow. I could feel occasional nibbles, but whatever it was was unable to take the hook in its mouth. After an hour I had my first pullage -- several fat 10" perch in a row from the same small area. I remained in the same vicinity casting frequently. Soon after that, I caught by far the smallest fish I ever hooked (albeit, this one was snagged). The photo may not be clear, but the 1/2" object impaled on the hook is an actual fish. I can't imagine how a hook of that diameter successfully penetrated the slender fish.

001.jpg 002.jpg

After having a laugh over that, I saw a small slick on the water in about 5 ft depth and cast to it. I had a bump on the first cast, then had a strong sustained pull on the second cast. I was very pleased to boat my largest ever Maryland redfish. This fish measured out at 18-18.5". I did not want to take a chance on shrinkage in the cooler and released the fish after a few photos.

004.jpg

I had another red on the line for two seconds, but it did not stay buttoned up. I saw a third redfish swirl in the water next to the boat.

I lost at least seven of the Gulp baits due to small fish nipping off the twister tail. I actually hooked several but they flopped off before I got them to the boat. They looked like 6"-8" bluefish.

After another hour casting around the same areas without a bite, I headed toward deeper water. I ran by the Hill looking for good screen marks for jigging. I saw plenty of boats but did not find good screen marks. I continued back toward the ramp and found a school of 12"-14" rockfish. I cast small lures to them and caught a few, and jigged a few more off the bottom. I hoped the bottom fish might be larger, but they were the same size.

On one drop of the BKD, I went to lift the rod tip and felt no weight. When I reeled in, the jighead and BKD were gone. I had not felt any strong tug. Either the knot wore out, or a bluefish sliced the line on the way down.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice! Been looking for reds in eastern bay, now I know I'm not looking in vain

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
      Nice! Been looking for reds in eastern bay, now I know I'm not looking in vain
      They certainly are not thick but they were in the same place where I found some smaller ones last summer.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good work John , congrats on getting a keeper red pretty far north in Md waters.
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

John,

Congratulations on your redfish.

I've never caught one.

How do they compare to a similar sized striper in terms of fight?

Mark
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            John,

Congratulations on your redfish.

I've never caught one.

How do they compare to a similar sized striper in terms of fight?

Mark
            The first few redfish I ever caught were at Lynhaven near Virginia Beach about 5 years ago. They ranged from 20" to 27" and pulled very hard. The ones I caught last year (12" to 15") and this year (16" and 18") in Maryland waters were smaller fish than those first ones. Contrary to other reports, I have not detected much difference in the pullage between a redfish and rockfish -- the redfish may have pulled a bit harder, but the incremental pullage was not strongly obvious. I don't know if they swim and pull differently in brackish water than they do in seawater.

Yesterday's 18" fish came on 20-lb Powerpro with a 20-lb mono leader. I had no trouble winding it in steadily. After one short initial burst of pulling against drag, it did not make a series of long runs.
            John Veil
            Annapolis

Comment

John,

Thank you.

I hope I get to make the comparison myself.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
              X