CHSP Triggerfish 7/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Triggerfish 7/31

Today my family decided to go clamming and fishing today. They went to the bay and I went to CHSP for triggers and possibly fluke. On monday I saw a total of 4 flounder taken from the pier and the wall.

I launched around 1:30 pm at the beach and need to get a cart ASAP I'm getting tired of dragging my kayak through the sand. Since it was pretty late in the day I decided that it would take to long to make my way out to the outer wall and decided to stay at the inner wall. On my way out to the wall there was little to no wind and began drifting all along the wall during which I managed 1 large croaker, however the wind picked up and it forced me to head around the crescent for cover. I met a couple on a boat who had just come from the outer wall and they said things were getting rough there too...lucky me. I caught another croaker there and then moved on. while moving up the wall I noticed some slab shaped fish dart by along the wall and that's when me heart started beating.

From my last trip I determined that the triggerfish like to stick to the surface/ right up against the rocks, but I have not proved this yet. I then got some sand fleas that I had caught the day before and chummed the water, eventually saw a few break the surface showing their telltale trigger. Then I began throwing sand fleas left and right and the next thing you know I have a whole school beneath me along with a bunch of baby blues. All I had to do then was drop down a baited hook and hooked up with 4 triggerfish the largest at 15'' but one came off the hook, however just as soon as it started they were gone the whole event lasted about 15 minuets? Not exactly sure was to busy fishing.

Feeling like 3 was enough I made my way up the wall to head back as the wind began picking up some more soo decided to call it a day. I reached the end of the pier around 4:30ish. There I decided to anchor and snap a few photos while fishing for a few croakers locating a school of dinks. I left and discovered that my brothers caught a 9 large spot and 15 croaker as well as 20+ clams. It was a great day on the water.

While putting our stuff away and tidying up after the trip I also noticed a guy in his kayak fishing in the surf ...I might just try that next time just maybe...P7310024.jpg

P7310025.jpg
    Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-01-2013, 01:49 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

P7310005.jpgP7310009.jpgP7310010.jpgP7310011.jpgP7310013.jpgP7310015.jpgP7310016.jpgP7310022.jpgP7310033.jpgP7310036.jpg

Comment

Congratulations on the success! Looks like you all will have some great meals!

How'd the new combo do?
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Worked out great...thanks again. Still getting used to the BC

When reeling in quickly it seems to be kind of awkward because it kind of "jostles?" when I try to reel in as fast as I can but I guess it's just cause its "stronger" and faster than the other reels I use. Hope to get out there again soon.

Comment

Sounds about right, check the spool tension if it jostles too much. You'll get used to it! It's great to only need one hand to let out more line.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Definitely makes things easier especially when you have to paddle. Ill have to check out the settings when I have some time.

Comment

WTG man! That's a nice sized trigger! Do you use a rake to catch the sand fleas? And is it too much to ask where you get um?

Thanks!

Comment

You could use a rake but I saw one selling for $40+ today. I caught them on the surf behind our condo, but i'm pretty sure that you can get them on pretty much any beach. Maybe even on the beach at CHSP but you might just find horseshoe crab eggs. I myself like to use my hands and they get the job done. Last year I think my brother and I were able to get 70+ in a short period of time lets say 15 minuets but this time it took me about an hour I think. Maybe there will be more later on. I think I will actually go out again tomorrow to catch some and freeze for a later trip seeing as I threw a good chunk of my supply into the water as chum.

I know the bait shops sell them per pint I believe for not too much but if I bought them I definitely wouldn't be throwing as much as I did in the water as chum. Next time I go down there I think I will have to try squid out as bait though but will still use the fleas as chum and maybe next time Ill chop them up first haha.

Oh BTW to all, while talking to various people at different bait shops it seems like sand fleas caught the most triggerfish were although I did hear of one person using clams but they seem a bit pricy to me for how much they give you.
                Last edited by M_Duong60; 08-01-2013, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Awesome going Minh!! You sir are inspirational!

Keep it up bro!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Congratulations!

Yup, they were at the Inner Wall. I believe this. Trigger likes warmer water than Togs. When I dove I know there were huge water temp differences among 0-6' and 6-12' and 12-20'.

What trigger fish do is moving slowly along the wall. so if you know the direction they are heading, you can move ahead by 50-100' and wait for them. When you don't see triggerfish on the top and if you are fishing with a friend by 70' apart, try to fish both sides of your friend. By doing that you can tell which direction triggerfish are moving to.

Though catching is different story to me

Joe
                    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM.
                    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

MytMouse,

Fresh shrimp is very good bait for Triggerfish. Next time I am going to use Size 2 hook (with long shank) to see if the smaller hook is better. I will still bring size 1 hooks.

For summer tog, I am not sure shrimp is good enough. If I stay at the Inner Wall I will bring Shrimp only.
                      I usually used 25 shrimp (50-60 counts). I cut the shrimp into 3- pieces. Triggerfish are bait stealers.

If I head for the Outer Wall, I will try to bring Sand Flee or Green Crab for tog.

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 08-01-2013, 06:24 AM.
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                        You could use a rake but I saw one selling for $40+ today. I caught them on the surf behind our condo, but i'm pretty sure that you can get them on pretty much any beach. Maybe even on the beach at CHSP but you might just find horseshoe crab eggs. I myself like to use my hands and they get the job done. Last year I think my brother and I were able to get 70+ in a short period of time lets say 15 minuets but this time it took me about an hour I think. Maybe there will be more later on. I think I will actually go out again tomorrow to catch some and freeze for a later trip seeing as I threw a good chunk of my supply into the water as chum.

I know the bait shops sell them per pint I believe for not too much but if I bought them I definitely wouldn't be throwing as much as I did in the water as chum. Next time I go down there I think I will have to try squid out as bait though but will still use the fleas as chum and maybe next time Ill chop them up first haha.

Oh BTW to all, while talking to various people at different bait shops it seems like sand fleas caught the most triggerfish were although I did hear of one person using clams but they seem a bit pricy to me for how much they give you.
                        Thanks man!! I'll look in the surf next time I go, but I will probably end up buying them too! LOL

Joe - I'll try shrimp too! The Tog loved the Shrimp when the season was open earlier in the year, but I'll green crab and the fleas too!

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
                          Thanks man!! I'll look in the surf next time I go, but I will probably end up buying them too! LOL

Joe - I'll try shrimp too! The Tog loved the Shrimp when the season was open earlier in the year, but I'll green crab and the fleas too!
                          Haha...I cant seem to find the size 1 hooks that aren't pre-snelled I think this reduces the sensitivity when it isn't tied inline. I've looked in 3 different tackle shops and cant seem to find one.

Comment

I'm an Owner man... Amazon sells them reasonably and they qualify for free shipping if you have prime or spend at least $25. I need to stock up myself!

http://www.amazon.com/Owners-Super-N...wner+ssw+hooks

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                              I think I will actually go out again tomorrow to catch some and freeze for a later trip
                              Let us know how the frozen ones work if you use them. Curious to see if frozen makes a difference. I've never gone after trigger's, but I know I'll never use frozen fleas for tog ever again.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X