Headed to Outer Banks on Friday, July 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headed to Outer Banks on Friday, July 26

Taking my SIK to Avon for the 3rd time. I'm familiar with that area, but I heard you can put in near the Coast Guad Station at Oregon Inlet(?) Any advice is appreciated. Thanks--Al

I was down there in June local bait shop advised that trout and red fish were red hot hitting on shrimp and jig head. Be cautious of current in the channel as it is ripping when the tied comes in and out.
    Have fun
    Ed
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Rented/demoed a Ride (before I bought mine) for a week last year in August. I was in the sound behind Nags Head and did one day on the edge of the Oregon inlet. As the previous poster said be careful around that area. That sucker can rip when it really gets moving. I've spent a significant time in Jersey inlets and Oregon is no joke.

Don't get me wrong if you're a strong paddler you'll be fine, but respect the power. Be sure to ask around at the local bait shops as well. I had my best day at the head of one of the rivers in a really calm area. Got double digit mix of specks and red drum. Nothing huge but fun as all get out.
      Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm an experienced yakker/fisher, but cautious. I'll def stay away from the rip. Al

Comment

Oregon inlet can be rough depending on the tides and weather. I'd recommend a VHF and the standard safety gear.

The island does a pretty good job of blocking wind making at least 1 side (ocean or sound) fishable depending on direction. I think I sent a few members some Google maps screengrabs of spots if you're interested.
          Dave
          2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Oregon Inlet is a great fishing spot- especially for sheepshead around the pilings on the bridge- some really big sheepies hang there- a mirage drive Hobie can hang pretty good around the bridge even when the tide is moving fast- might be harder for a paddle yak. Get a bucket of sand fleas or fiddler crabs and have some fun- A big sheepshead is a tough fish on light tackle- and they are a really tasty table fish-
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
            X